Rules for Allotments

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules for Allotments

I have recently started an allotment, my son and I need a place for piece and quiet. I have erected a shed and also attached a self made greenhouse to it. I was approached by one of the committee members and asked to take down the greenhouse. I have a 5 rod plot and have the room for both but cannot find in my rules or any other rules stating that you cannot have both. Can anyone help me please. Thank you.

Do any of the other plots have a greenhouse ?
    He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Did you ask him to explain why?

Comment

You need to speak to the site secretary and ask for an explanation/copy of the full rules.

Comment

Is this because it's a self made greenhouse, and a health and safety issue?

When you say 'why's that then?', what did they say?

Comment

We have a rule that states you have to ask the coucil first.
            Never know them to say no, but they do get upset if you don't ask.
            No site committee, just a council allotment officer who has responsibility for all 1500 plots in Southampton, Very nice Lady.
            Maximum shed size 6 x 6 x 6 ( so second story is out of the question)
            No limit on greenhouse or polytunnel size, but obviously it can't be bigger than your plot.
            Always best to find out the rules first, before you bend them to suit.
            "...Very dark, is the other side, very dark."

"Shut up, Yoda. Just eat your toast."

Comment

There are many time that health and safety is cited.
              The Health and Safety Commission itself is very critical of their GUIDELINES being cited as rules and regulations.
              They are simply guidelines for risk assesment.
              "...Very dark, is the other side, very dark."

"Shut up, Yoda. Just eat your toast."

Comment

Ask them to provide you with reasons why it must be dismantled in writing, ie the actual rule they are applying. Tell them that you're not trying to be awkward, but that you've put a lot of hard work into it and you're unable to identify which rule you've broken. If it turns out that it's the self-build which is the problem, you may be able to get around it if you can get a professional builder/carpenter or similar to certify its safety?

Comment

Originally posted by Olorin2001 View Post
                  There are many time that health and safety is cited.
                  The Health and Safety Commission itself is very critical of their GUIDELINES being cited as rules and regulations.
                  They are simply guidelines for risk assesment.
                  There is no Health and Safety Commission any more, it's the HSE that rule on these things.

H&S was only cited by me [a NEBOSH qualified ex-Civil Engineer] and I asked whether it was a H&S issue because the OP stated it was a self-made greenhouse which could mean anything from 3 panes of glass blutacked together upwards.

And they aren't guidelines; whoever is 'in charge' needs to be assured that everything that has been done was done, as long as it is 'reasonably practicable'. If a shoddily built greenhouse has been erected and they think it is a risk - then they are well within their rights to ask for it to be taken down.

However the OP would have known that as soon as they asked 'why?'. So perhaps we can wait until they tell us what the answer was when they come back, before jumping on H&S eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Spooner View Post
                    I was approached by one of the committee members and asked to take down the greenhouse.
                    You should have a copy of the site rules. If they don't say "no greenhouses", then I would leave it.

Don't get into an argument with the Site Sec. If he's like ours, he'll find another way to annoy you and get you to leave if you get on his bad books.
                    On our site, it's one rule for the Friends of the Site Sec, and another rule for everyone else.

Play it cool and friendly, but don't be bullied. Have a quiet chat with some of the other plotters, find out the lay of the land as per rules.
                    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 10-06-2013, 09:43 AM.
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                      On our site, it's one rule for the Friends of the Site Sec, and another rule for everyone else.
                      This is why sites have written rules. And why rules should be enforced for everyone. Some people find that difficult and think they can just say yes to whatever anyone wants. That causes so many issues in itself.

Comment

As the others have said, your first question should be "can you tell me why, please?". You also need to ask for a copy of the site rules and keep them where you can refer to them.

It seem to me that different allotment sites have different rules depending on where they are and who runs them. Our site for example, now allows a 6x4 shed but it must not have a window. It also has to be situated in a specific place on your individual plot, depending on whether you have a front or back plot. Greenhouses are not allowed, but there appears to be no restriction on size or position of poly tunnels or fruit cages.

Comment

I think each site has its own rules. I was told that I could have a greenhouse but not a polytunnel. The exception was the plots operated by the council which has two very large polytunnels.

You should be given a set of rules when you started, if not ask for a copy, once you have them check what it says about greenhouse.

You could remove part of the shed wall and say its a potting shed, although I suspect that wont work.

Comment

I'm just having a rear thought it appears that many allotments have issues with greenhouses these days but accept pollytunels is this due to the fact that time and time again glass is broken and then left on site after people move on or die could it be that there is a rule for glass greenhouses?? could be that greenhouses persay are discouraged or that permission wasnt sought as has been stated aske for a reason ask to see the sites full rules take note of anything else on site which appears to contridict what you have been told I.e you cant have a greenhouse made with glass but there are 3 others made of glass. be polite and supportive arguing don't work as I recently found out be polite and understand thier rules.
                            Today I will be mainly growing Vegetables.

Tonight The bloody slugs & snails will eat them!

https://www.facebook.com/manchester....ts?ref=tn_tnmn

Comment

Originally posted by alldigging View Post
                              This is why sites have written rules.
                              The trouble being that the rules are badly written and vague. As an eg, they say tenants should keep the verges around their plots tidy and under control.

Well, they aren't being. When I pointed this out (because mine were being weedkillered while everyone else has seeding dandelions on their boundary verges), I was told that my "interpretation" of the rules was wrong.

I would have thought "keep the verges tidy" was quite clear, but apparently not.
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X