No announcement yet.

Clubroot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not too eco and all that but you could try sterilising the affected bed with ***** if you have lost all the brassicas in there. Also have a look at some of the root dip treatments at the garden centre - there may be something there that might help?

Terry
    The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Terry,
      I'm pretty sure ***** or any other strong disinfectant wouldn't be much use against insect pests. ***** is useful against Clubroot.

Good idea of having a look in the garden centre for a root dip, I thought there was one available but probably not economical just for a few plants.

Comment

Re clubroot...........stick a bit of rhubarb leaf in the planting hole! Its active ingredient is oxalic acid and it is supposed to deter clubroot.
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hi,

So I managed to make cabbage collars from cardboard and put them around the Brussels sprouts in another bed. I have dug up the infected plants and placed them in a bucket for now (how does everyone else dispose of infected plants?). I decided to leave the others and see what they are like when I come back from my hols, as visibly, they look unaffected. If I've lost them all, I will not use that bed again this year. If I sieved the soil could I get rid of any maggots that might still be lurking?

Clareg

Comment

Generally I either burn infected garden waste or black sack it and take it to the dump - just remember it can't go in 'green waste' as thar would defeat the purpose!
            The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Clareg,
              Burn or bin the infected plants.

Once the maggots mature, they leave the roots and pupate into a pupa.
              Sieving the soil within 6-12" of the root zone should get most of the maggots, You'll need to also look for any pupae (reddish brown colour) that have already formed. A lot of these will hatch again around early July so the infection starts all over again.

It's probably too much hassle to sieve the soil, best to protect what you have already with your collars. Maybe investing in a crop fleece would be a good idea too, since you don't have too many to protect

Snadger,
              Yeah, old trick of using rhubarb leaves or stems for clubroot control. Never used it myself, jury seems to be out on whether it works or not! Some people swears by it though.

Comment

Originally posted by jondanie View Post

Snadger,
                Yeah, old trick of using rhubarb leaves or stems for clubroot control. Never used it myself, jury seems to be out on whether it works or not! Some people swears by it though.
                I once new a guy who wore a copper rumation bangle to ward off arthritis when asked whether it worked or not he said " Well I've got no arthritis!"

I used rhubarb leaf last year on clubroot infected land and got no clubroot problems. The problem is I didn't do a control in that area without rhubarb, so as you say, the jury is out!

I have now moved plots and hopefully left the clubroot behind!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X