Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
    As Roitelet says, simply push the mulch aside

I put a very useful link in my reply to you. It's very helpful. It has lots of info and suggestions

All of those can be pulled up and left on the soil as a mulch, yes. Is that what you were asking?
    After reading some of your other posts this is what I have been doing with them. Oddly I do get very weird looks from people whist I weed. As I pull them up leave them upside down on the beds. Apart from the bindweed that goes ontop of a sheet of glass to die complety!!

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles View Post
      I do get very weird looks from people whist I weed.
      Yes, I get comments like "giving them a haircut?"

They can't argue about the good it's doing my soil, and my crops, though
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I just say it green stuff and all good for the soil! Aslong they not in seeds. I've just put some dead bindweed into my compost bins. It's a shame I didnt know this when I first started out!!

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles View Post
          all good for the soil! ... It's a shame I didnt know this when I first started out!!
          Yeah it's surprising how people don't think things through to their logical conclusion. Beginners just think "weeds. bad. must bin."
          We put all that plant nutrient in the council bin, then go to the garden centre to buy fertiliser in a bottle. Crazy.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
            Yeah it's surprising how people don't think things through to their logical conclusion. Beginners just think "weeds. bad. must bin."
            We put all that plant nutrient in the council bin, then go to the garden centre to buy fertiliser in a bottle. Crazy.

We had people throw weeds away with tons of good soil attached. One bit of my plot aquired that lot though.
            Someone else piled weeds on to my compost bin, another person asked if they could leave me their weeds. Yes please!

Comment

'Coughs' I used to do that untill I learnt what a waste of everything!! Now I knock off the soil and even pull off tyhe root and keep in a bucket. The other get's left on top.

Comment

Hi, I def want to try a green manure this year. I'm just reading one of the links posted in this thread... I just need to know which green manure to plant!! I still have a veg patch full of courgettes, squash, sweetcorn, beans and potatoes. Do I just try to plant the green manure around them? Ground is pretty hard and dry, will the seeds be ok?
                I'm a bit worried about some of the green manures spreading around the garden as I've read about them seeding. I'm not the most avid gardner so I'm worried I'll miss the seed heads and they'll beeverywhere! Also worried about the grass type ones spreading via root systems?? Although, on the other hand thegrass ones sound good for me as I have two pet rabbits and would like to beable to feed them from it over the winter.
                I;m on the south coast of England, near the sea, anyone recommmend a good green manure?? or I'll see what I find out from this article...

Comment

Planting stuff about now and leaving it over winter is probably ok - things don't tend to flower over winter ... but the idea is you stop the plants before they flower anyway.

We've planted phacelia, mustard and winter tares at the community garden to see how they compare.

You could cover the bed with cardboard in early spring after a couple of sunny days and then the worms will drag all the green material into the soil for you.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X