Covering your beds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covering your beds

Hi folks, as I've cleared out my peas & broad beans from the bed they were in, I just wondered what peoples preferences are regarding covering up the bed in Autumn. My neighbour has kindly said I can use his manure one I've dug it over in readiness for next Spring. I've heard people say cover the bed up once manured, and leave it as it will keep the weeds down. Others have said they just leave them.

Is there a right or a wrong way, or is it simply personal preference?

I ask as this has been my first season on the plot. Some things worked really well for me,
    Courgettes, peas, broad beans & others weren't so good. All part of the fun though.

Empty beds attract weeds, if you've got no crops to plant in them then what about green manures? If you really want to cover then go with cardboard.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

It is personal preference but covering can make things "easier" on the weed front. Look up some threads on lasagna beds, you might find it useful
      When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it.
      If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Comment

My empty beds either are sown with Green Manure or covered with compost and then straw. IMO covering with something non permiable is not a good idea.
        Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Weeds don't grow in the winter, my plot was pretty much weed free up till june because it was so cold.

Comment

It is a matter of choice, I tend to use a mixture of methods I cover some with compost and some with cardboard and have used green manures on some. Generally those that have had some form of covering has been more workable in the spring when compared to those that had nothing on.

Comment

I tend to use a layer of cardboard topped with manure,by the spring the worms have done the hard bit and the cardboard has disappeared,personally though I like to keep as much of the soil occupied with crops through the winter,so have lots of leeks,mooli winter lettuces and parsnips.I also use deep straw mulch over manure which allows the rain through and is easily pulled back in spring prior to planting potatoes which I then draw the straw back over to earth up
              don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
              remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Originally posted by PAULW View Post
                Weeds don't grow in the winter
                No they don't, but they continue to blow in from other plots, so covering your own beds will protect them a bit from invading seeds
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

As an advocate of no-dig, don't touch the soil other then weeding, feed with compost and plant winter onions, broad beans or peas ready for spring. Keep your soil busy for you so it's weed free!

Comment

In depth discussion right here ...
                    The Vegetable Garden in September - 2013
                    Last edited by redser; 07-09-2013, 07:01 AM.

Comment

The last few years I've done nothing but this year I'm doing a combination of green manure and covering with cardboard topped with manure (home made from chickens and rabbits)

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                        Empty beds attract weeds
                        ...and lose topsoil, as winter gales & heavy rain wash the topsoil away.

I never have empty bare soil, ever.

Yes I do ~ on my paths. The soil on the paths is like sand, it's become very fine sandy dust and blows away in the slightest breeze.
                        The soil in my beds is covered in a permanent mulch of chopped up weeds, seaweed, garden compost etc.
                        The soil is protected, moisture is kept in the ground where you want it
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Once things have keeled over; I'm thinking of covering raised beds with cardboard this year. There will be jokes from folks, telling me that it doesn't grow well and you can't eat it. The new half plot, is covered in cardboard, through which I will be planting over wintering stuff.
                          Horticultural Hobbit

http://twitter.com/#!/HorticulturalH
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Horti...085870?sk=info

http://horticulturalhobbit.com/

Comment

I manure, dig it in loosely and cover with a tarpaulin....well it's not really a proper tarpaulin as water soaks through it, sort of woven ground cover material I suppose. Soil is very light at the allotment, so I don't leave any bare beds uncovered.
                            Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X