winter cover

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winter cover

Just a quick question. Im heading into my first winter and I have read that cardboard covered with manure is a good idea. However I have been granted access to a huge amount of compost for free (2friends want there heaps gone) so my question is can I use the compost in place of the manure?

Probably depends on what the compost is? Is it used dirt/mix that hasn't got much left in it? Or is it a good garden mix that will make your beds deeper?

And do you need to add manure to your garden beds?

As long as there's no weeds in it, you could put it on (compost), you could add manure if you needed too, and cover in cardboard (not manure above the cardboard, makes it too hard for the worms to get into it. Or you could skip the cardboard, take the compost and grow a green manure to turn under in spring. Too many choices really.
    Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Originally posted by weemer78 View Post
      Just a quick question. Im heading into my first winter and I have read that cardboard covered with manure is a good idea. However I have been granted access to a huge amount of compost for free (2friends want there heaps gone) so my question is can I use the compost in place of the manure?
      Yes of course you can.

Comment

Thank you for replys the compost is a big mound about 6 foot high and it just the grass cuttings etc from last good few years.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X