Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some help! Previous tenant issue...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help! Previous tenant issue...

Hi All,

Wonder if you can help with my predicament!

I took over a very overgrown plot, it had an existing shed which, quite frankly was falling apart, no felt on the roof, a broken window and it had never been painted and was rotting. I was informed by the council that the previous tenant didn't want it and it was mine to take over with the plot.

I have since replaced the window and felt, fixed the roof and repainted it to protect it further from the winter.

I have now been approached by the council advising that the previous tenant wishes to take her tools and shed back and whether this was acceptable to me.

I have no problem with the tools, however I have spent quite a bit of time and money making this old shed (that would have fallen down this year if left) good again. What should I do? I don't want to make any enemies however I feel the only reason that the person wants it back is because they have probably seen what its now like!

any help appreciated! I did think about saying they could have it, if I was reimbursed with the costs of making it good...

Thanks in advance!,

Craig

Did you take a before and after picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
    In the following link you can follow my recent progress on the plot

https://www.youtube.com/user/darcyvuqua?feature=watch

Comment

from the moment you were allowed to sign a tenancy for that plot, then everything on that plot became yours.

It's a bit strange that she would want a tumbledown shed back so perhaps someone has told her it's been done up?

What does your site rules say about when you leave the plot? Ours has something about 14 days to get your stuff (Although this can be extended if there is good reason... But I would say unless there was some dire reason why she couldn't get her stuff within a couple of weeks then it's too late.
      And the minute the plot becomes someone elses so does everything left on it.

If the council have let you have the plot before all her notice expired then it's their problem not yours.

How much have you spent? You could tally up the list of expenses but I'd be inclined to say 'no bugger off'

Comment

Thanks all,

I do have some pictures of the plot where you can see the shed in the background, unfortunately it doesn't show all the details that the glass was broken etc, but its clear that its been replaced.

I am presuming that they have seen the shed in its current state and decided they would like it!

I am just checking the site rules now, however I do have a confirmation email from the council when I took over the plot stating the previous tenant has advised they we can have the shed. Its been about / just over 2 months since we took over the plot, the shed was only fixed about 2 weeks ago!

I have written back to the council explaining what we have done, and if they want the shed then that's fine, however I want to be reimbursed with all costs that I have spent including my time etc. which I think is very fair, I don't want to make any enemies and I was looking to replace the shed next year anyway, I just wanted it to get through the winter and store some of my basic stuff. I don't want to make an enemy whereby next year I find out that my plot has been vandalized, maybe that's going over the top but you never know these days!

I'm glad I have the backing of you guys, I was thinking maybe I wasn't following allotment etiquette! however I feel very aggravated that I believe she now wants it because its fixed!

I've not priced up what I have spent yet, but some felt, a new window, wood for strengthening, paint, new lock etc, it all adds up.

Comment

Originally posted by crucy86 View Post
          I am just checking the site rules now, however I do have a confirmation email from the council when I took over the plot stating the previous tenant has advised they we can have the shed. Its been about / just over 2 months since we took over the plot, the shed was only fixed about 2 weeks ago!
          That's quite insane. If they'd asked the week you took over the plot then that's one thing - but to have left it 2 months then they're being very cheeky.

Comment

Sounds like a wise course of action! You'll probably find that the previous tenant will back down when faced with a bill for the costs. If they want to pay, let them remove it, in case it falls apart in the process, and put the money towards a new shed.

Comment

It sounds like you are being very reasonable about the whole thing. If anyone has a problem with your suggestion well then erm they are being unreasonable. If that's how it plays out then just say you are keeping the shed and that's the end of it.

Comment

When you have added it up, bung another £100 on, that should scare 'em of.................cheeky bu99ers.
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Tell them, yes, they can have it, but not until you replace it with a new one in the spring.
                  All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                  Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I would say someone in the council has dropped a perverbial. Told you its your and not told them to remove stuff.

Hold your ground, or ask the council to reimburse you for your costs, after all they told you it was yours.
                    I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

I agree with all the above comments,think you are being extremely reasonable! Just another thought you have also been paying rent on the plot for 2 months, maybe you could add that to your argument?
                      DottyR

Comment

The previous tenant is too late. If you can manage without, tot up the costs and ask for reimbursement as suggested.
                        How will they get in, presumably they have handed their key in.

Comment

If the council told you it is yours and you have proof of this then either the council must reimburse you, or them. Its as simple as that. If it comes to working out your costs charge at least the minimum wage (About £8 an hour) and every nail and screw. You are in the driving seat on this one without doubt.
                          photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

When I gave my plot up, all negotiations were agreed prior to me handing in the keys. No come backs.
                            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                            -----------------------------------------------------------
                            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I think you are being very reasonable. Up to the council or the old tenant to pay you for it and your time... They can fight over who foots the bill. Not your problem!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X