Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• testing soil ph

Hi folks,

I have 3 blueberry bushes currently in pots.
    I want to plant them in my fruit cage but need to supply an area with a low ph.
    Can I check the ph using litmus paper if so how is the best way to do it .

Cheers
    John
    Cheers .... John

Web link to our Allotment website http://lawsonsallotment.btck.co.uk/

PS my plot is 9 shown on the Plot Holders Pictures

You can buy a simple soil test kit from the garden centre for a few pounds. It's a little tube with powder in it. You add some soil and water, shake and wait.

Comment

Originally posted by WendyC View Post
      You can buy a simple soil test kit from the garden centre for a few pounds. It's a little tube with powder in it. You add some soil and water, shake and wait.
      How do you know you havent just picked on the particular spot the cat peed on this morning? I would be so unsure of the results I would end up doing 20 tests and taking an average!
      photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

You can buy probes too, and you can keep using them ad nauseum

Comment

A probe seems a much better bet to doubting Thomases such as me. I have no doubt they are expensive though. Then I would feel I need another one to check the results of the first one!
          photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Oh they are only just over £3 on Amazon, that sounds silly cheap to me.

Comment

They're about a fiver? Don't think they're particularly accurate but probably good enough to give you an idea...........

Comment

They are accurate to within 0.5 - they don't last forever but far better than faffing around with tubes and chemicals - or you could go form a professional meter as used in laboratories where there is a test liquid for you to check the accuracy and adjust as required. Plants are mostly tolerant and a difference of 0.5 will not matter to them.
                "...Very dark, is the other side, very dark."

"Shut up, Yoda. Just eat your toast."

Comment

I may be wrong and can't be a@@sed to check up on it, but I seem to remember that pH is on a logarithmic or binary scale or summat?
                  In other words, the difference between a pH of 6 and 7 could mean that the 6 is a hundred times more acidic than a 7! Likewise with 5 to 6 ad infinitum down the scale.
                  If you think along these lines it IS beneficial to strive for the exact Ph value for the plant type you are growing.
                  Not always achievable though, but in this case you just need to grow stuff that IS suitable to your pH and grow stuff in pockets that need a higher or lower value changing the pH locally to this small area.

Here endeth the views of snadge!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Map of soil ph in the UK

I know my soil is alkaline because our water is so hard, and because spuds get scab, but brassicas grow well.
                    There are a few surprises: we have large blueberries & a camellia in normal garden soil, not ericaceous.
                    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 25-10-2013, 08:00 AM.
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                      Map of soil ph in the UK

I know my soil is alkaline because our water is so hard, and because spuds get scab, but brassicas grow well.
                      There are a few surprises: we have large blueberries & a camellia in normal garden soil, not ericaceous.
                      Maybe its a bit like Darwins natural selection and plants that won't usually tolerate one soil or another have evolved to be less picky?
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by johninblackpool View Post
                        Hi folks,

Can I check the ph using litmus paper if so how is the best way to do it .

Cheers
                        John
                        Hi John

I purchased a soil testing kit from B&Q a few quid and it will tell you the ph of your soil.

hope this helps

Comment

Cheers Everyone

Looks like i will be buying a soil testing kit

John
                          Cheers .... John

Web link to our Allotment website http://lawsonsallotment.btck.co.uk/

PS my plot is 9 shown on the Plot Holders Pictures

Comment

Cheers Everyone

Looks like i will be buying a soil testing kit

John
                            Check out this thread John http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...elp_75748.html

Comment

I have alkaline soil, as you know.

I also have blueberries in the ground (they're in big tubs of ericaceous compost, sunk in the soil). Sinking them means they need far less watering, and it looks more natural

We also have wild (escaped) blueberries round our way: they are growing in about 2" of tarmacky soil (alkaline soil at that).
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X