No announcement yet.

Storm

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideally, I'd have permeable fence panels, but OH said no on privacy grounds. Solid panels make the wind stronger, whereas trellis or interlap/hit & miss panels slow the wind down, filtering it

Our new panels are up at the moment, but banging in their holders. This is such a windy part of the country, we really could do with shelterbelts of trees all over the place, but farmers have ripped out their hedging. And the wind gets so strong it blows your car across the road while you're driving (q.scary)
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
      anything loose at all needs to be removed or secured. ... Compost bin lids, either weighed down with rocks, or removed.

Ah, the bin lids *blush*

I got all my canes out of the ground already, but forgot the bin lids. Still, they haven't got far to go: next to me is the end of the lotty, so they'll be found at the foot of the fence.

Mr TS was due to be travelling today, but he had the good sense to come home last night and is "working" from home this week

Silver lining: there'll be loads of leaves down to collect for leafmould

Comment

Just had this from Metcheck
        "Storm Christian is now in the North Sea. However, strong, gusty winds will continue across much of Eastern England as the system pulls away. Trees weakened by last nights storm still have the potential to fall across East Anglia. "
        Didn't realise my trees were that tall

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post

Silver lining: there'll be loads of leaves down to collect for leafmould
          Bother, 3 of the little helpers have gone to their dads, that only leaves the two littl'uns

Comment

Went to check the lotty this morning and the cold frame had been blown upside down, only one piece of glass broken, but that's easily fixed, my garden fence I was waiting for it to come down as the posts needs replacing, but it stayed up.

Comment

Looks like the tail end is just give us a flick down here - temperature has dropped from 28 at lunchtime down to 17 and we've just had a 'gust' of 19kph which for us is very windy!! Hope everyone and everything is safe out there.
              Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by PyreneesPlot View Post
                we've just had a 'gust' of 19kph which for us is very windy!!
                Jealous.
                15 mph (24 kph) is considered a calm day, here on the North Sea coast

Comment

Just had a BOGOF offer for Windproof umbrellas
                  If anyone needs two let me know

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                    Jealous.
                    15 mph (24 kph) is considered a calm day, here on the North Sea coast
                    At least we hadn't bought the wind turbine in advance or arriving!
                    Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yup - that's Beaufort scale 3, only a gentle breeze LOL
                      I went to the plot and the shed's still in the right place but had to rescue a tripod of beans which was at a very weird angle considering the wind direction! Shelling beans rescued and drying indoors now.
                      Greenhouse door fixed on the runners again - so all in all I got off lightly

Comment

A recent survey by ITV regarding viewing figures of CorrieNation Street could be to blame for this storm

As this satallite picture shows angry Gails have been seen all over the country

Sorry ........ Twas too good an opertunity to miss
                        Last edited by bearded bloke; 28-10-2013, 02:50 PM.
                        He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

No damage at home, apart from a blocked drain caused by fallen leaves washing into it. Visited the lottie this afternoon and the shed "roof" is off, but inside the shed so can be fixed.

Compost bin lids still on, one fence post swaying. All in all got off very lightly.
                          Last edited by rustylady; 28-10-2013, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Next doors fence blew into our garden, damaging the bean frame, no other problems for us, though there is a tree blown down near us

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum
                            Nannys make memories

Comment

The polycarbonate window blew out of my allotment shed and broke. Cheap B&Q rubbish.
                              Also the debris netting came off one of the brassica beds.

The netting is now safely back on, but the shed window will have to wait. The replacement will have some bracing on it though.
                              My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                              Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

A Blowaway
                                BBC News - Marquee blown away by St Jude Storm

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X