Strawberrys

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawberrys

Do I leave strawberry runners to overwinter in the pots then transfer to bed about March.

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

How big are they, and are the roots filling the pots yet?

If it were me, and I was down in Plymouth, I would be planting them on the plot now.

Comment

I agree, but if you don't get the chance they will still be fine I should think, I found about 8 potted runners in a murky corner of my plot this spring that I somehow managed to miss and they still produced this year despite being dried out.
      Hardy little things, strawberries.

Comment

I have strawberries in the yard, never got a good amount from them this year. Lots of runners which has made new plants. Once I new firmly rooted I cut from the main plant. I plan on planting some of the new plants in the allotment next year.
        Though I was given some alpine plants and they are in the allotment, not planted out, but they have flowers at the moment. Will see what happens.

Comment

I remember buying strawberry plants from various companies and planting them out in autumn and trying to keep them going in pots all winter, even under cover. In both cases most of the plants died as this is not the growing period for them, and in consequence, they are mainly dormant and an overwet soil or compost sees them off. They also arrive from the seed company in a semi-dormant state.

I would always buy my strawberry plants in the spring and ideally in pots when they are beginning to grow away. We are lucky here in that we can buy relatively cheap potted plants in the local markets here in spring, which will flower and fruit straight away that year.

Otherwise, I would recommend keeping the plants you receive by post slightly moist but not wet, and keeping them overwinter in a frost free place.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X