No announcement yet.

Someone appears to have pinched my allotment :(

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thankfully I have no issue with Horsetail, Bindweed however drives me mental. I have to dig the ground at the start of the season while my clay is still a little claggy and pull as much of it out as I can.

Every year without fail I dig out 3-4 bin bags full of bindweed root. It's back breaking work but if I don't its very difficult to spot winding its way up amongst your bean poles or wandering around your potato haulms. Pesky stuff.

We all have a demon weed of some description on our plots.
    Last edited by Mikey; 11-11-2013, 07:54 PM.
    I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

• I have 3 of the worst.. JK, HT, and BW.

Good times. Still - gets me out of the house

Comment

• Are you talking about weeds or Grapes Chris?

Comment

• If it was grapes, then it'd just be the two... MW (or just M now!) and VC.

No ones else rips me as much as those two bullies

Comment

• Originally posted by Methe View Post
            I've been fighting a losing battle with it [horsetail] in my garden for almost 10 years
            It's very persistent, but it's not the worst weed to have. It doesn't compete well with other plants, and you can shade it out by growing taller plants around it.

This is our wildlife garden before I started on it: nectar bar July 2010 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!. That's decking you can just see underneath the horsetail.

and this is a year later: butterfly bar | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Keep pulling it up, don't let it go to seed

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
            As soon as you see a new shoot of it pull it out and put it in the council bin or burn it.
            Or leave it on a path to dry to a crisp (in summer) or bag it up like leafmould, or drown it in a bucket of water like comfrey tea.
            I don't waste free nutrients: every single "weed" goes back onto the plot as compost or fertiliser
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I wouldn't accept swampy plot 3 ( it did occur to me that maybe they would have mixed the 2 up too ) and the other possibility is only half a plot and is apparently riddled with marestails. I'm not sure which is worse!

Now I am confused, I thought plot 3 was the good one they originaly offered you and that the swamp was plot9.
              photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

• Originally posted by chris View Post
                If it was grapes, then it'd just be the two... MW (or just M now!) and VC.

No ones else rips me as much as those two bullies
                I prefer to see us as older siblings, toughening you up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
                  Now I am confused, I thought plot 3 was the good one they originaly offered you and that the swamp was plot9.
                  Ditto
                  He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

• Nice but not mine plot 3
                    Swampy plot 9
                    Possible half weedy plot 14

Sorry for confusion.

Comment

• Swampy is plot 9, 3 is the one that's not mine, plot 14 is the other possible.

Comment

• See I'm confusing myself I didn't think the first one had posted!

Comment

• A couple more posts like that & VC will be signing you up for the NUTTERS club

If you get confirmation an Thursday then it will be an omen for plot 14
                          He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

See I'm confusing myself I didn't think the first one had posted!
                            It's easy to get confused Methe when you lose the plot................duh.......
                            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                            -----------------------------------------------------------
                            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                              It's easy to get confused Methe when you lose the plot................duh.......
                              You are one very sick gorilla BM, I like it.

Comment

• Have any of you gurgled 'Methe?' It could explain the confusion...
                                All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                                Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X