Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off to see a potential plot!

Hello!

I've been lurking around on this forum for a while, dreaming of having my own plot and the dream is potentially coming true!

Tomorrow morning, I'm off to see a plot that is available and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what I should be looking for? Any particular features that are a must, things I should watch out for?

All advice is welcome, I've been growing at home in a fairly small space for a while, but I can appreciate that allotments are quite different to the back garden!

Thanks!

Jen

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

How exciting! Take a compass so you can work out the movement of the sun and any potential shade from trees, walls, fences etc. Access to water is important - take it from someone who got tennis elbow from lugging water this year! If you will be taking small children with you, you might like to consider where is it in relation to any moving cars. These are things you can't change. It's location, location , location!
    Don't be put off by a weedy plot - you can improve that and now is a great time to get started. However familarise yourself with what some of the perennial weeds look like e.g. mare's tail, just so you are aware of what's on there.
    Ask questions like how big is the plot, can I have a shed/ greenhouse/ polytunnel? What's the rent and is water included. Allotment plots are measured in rods generally. A full plot is 10 rods or 250 square metres roughly.
    Take lots of photos as you won't remember certain things. Good luck!
    Wendy

Comment

Jen I can't help with plot advice because I'm a back garden grower but I wanted to say hello and welcome to the vine
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Wendy, thanks for all of the advice - lots to think about!! From what I've been told so far, it's looking positive but tomorrow will tell all!

Bren, thanks very much, it's nice to have a proper area of space to talk about and plan for!!

exciting times!

Comment

Hi Jen and welcome from a long-time lurker. As you can see from the number of my posts - its doesn't take long to make up for lost time
          Wendy has given you some good advice. However, since there may not be a choice of plot, just one on offer, you have to decide on your level of commitment. Are you prepared to give it a go, whatever the plot is like? If the plot isn't in a very good condition you could try to negotiate for a rent free year (or two) while you get it back in condition. If they offer to spray it or rotovate it, before you take it on, I'd advise you to refuse that. Find out what the weeds are, take photos, and come back here for advice on how to deal with them.
          Good luck for tomorrow

Comment

When I was offered my plot, it didn't occur to me that I could turn it down and wait for a better one! My plot is at the bottom of a slope, and east-facing, so doesn't get as much sun as I would like, but now I've worked on it for two years and have all sorts of things growing (and planned), I love it, and would not give it up for one in a better position! So providing you are not offered anything too horrendous (Japanese knotweed-infested or full of rubble!) I would say go with it and learn what works best for it as you go along... Good luck!
            Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes

Comment

Thank you very much for all of the advice, I had lots to think about!

It was a really good visit, the site is really nice and there's good access to water, no nasty restrictions on sheds, some raspberries and strawberries lurking around, some bricks and pieces of timber that will make nice compost bins, and nothing to cast too much shade. The only downside is that there is mares tail. Not as bad as some of the other plots, but it's inevitable on the site apparently. It's not so bad that it will overtake my crops, but it's there.

Here are some pictures - the first is the view from the path, all the grass up to just in front of the tiny shed is mine, and the boundaries to the side are pretty obvious. The second photo is from the other end of the plot looking towards the path, with mum and our new acquaintance Doug.

I hope I've inserted those pictures properly!

Thanks so much for all the help!

Jen

Attached Files

Comment

Congratulations I've just taken on a plot with marestails too. We'll have to swap battle stories

Comment

Horsetail, Methe, horsetail. Marestail is an aquatic plant.

Comment

Methe, sounds like a good plan! It will definitely be a challenge. What's your plot like?

Rustylady, true true! If I'm gonna be a proper allotmenteer, I should be more accurate!

Jen

Comment

It's a half plot so not very big. Apare from ma ma mar HORSETAIL it doesn't seem to have too many problems. I've spent the weekend clearing it and my thighs and backside are rather painful today from all the digging!

What plans do you have for yours?

Comment

Welcome enjoy and grow.
                        Today I will be mainly growing Vegetables.

Tonight The bloody slugs & snails will eat them!

https://www.facebook.com/manchester....ts?ref=tn_tnmn

Comment

Methe, mines a half plot too - 7mx17.5m. I think the plan so far is to mow the paths around the plot to keep my neighbours happy, to mark out some beds and then cover the beds with weed proof matting until we can dig through them.

Thanks very much for the warm welcome!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X