Carrot Damage

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrot Damage

Just pulled some carrots today and there seems to be a little damage to them tho I'm not sure what has caused it.

The field the allotments are in is new tho it is next to an established allotment site...

Have attached photos of carrots - any advice much appreciated
    Attached Files

Looks like carrot fly Carrot fly / Royal Horticultural Society

Comment

They won't keep very well but you can cut out the damaged bits and eat the rest with no problems.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

That's classic carrot fly damage as the others have said Black Wolf. And yes, chop out the black bits and the rest of each carrot should be fine. Be prepared to lose a fair bit though.
        My blog: www.grow-veg.uk

@Grow_Veg_UK

Comment

I have found the only way to avoid damage is to completely cover the crop with enviromesh for the whole of the crop's life. There is a myth that a low barrier fence of enviromesh will keep them out, but it doesn't.
          Interestingly I am lifting Flyaway at the moment and they have been the only ones with any damage where a fly must have got in. Earthing up to hide the root can help too.

Comment

Originally posted by WendyC View Post
            I have found the only way to avoid damage is to completely cover the crop with enviromesh for the whole of the crop's life. There is a myth that a low barrier fence of enviromesh will keep them out, but it doesn't.
            I totally agree

Comment

I used to get carrot fly every year. Since I started using enviromesh no problems, if you want carrots it is worth the investment.

Comment

Ok thanks guys! Will get some insect netting over it next year plus rotate it to another patch. Surprised to get a pest like that so quickly. Had enough of the catapillers over the summer lol

Comment

Originally posted by Black Wolf View Post
                  Surprised to get a pest like that so quickly.
                  Not really surprising, because you're right next to an allotment where the fly will be endemic. They were just sat waiting for you
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Great so they are crafty carrot root fly then ;-)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X