No announcement yet.

Clay!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think spent hops better as just a mulch, but keep away from seedlings - although compensate with Chicken Manure pellets would probably counteract the Nitrogen they need to rot down (any source of Nitrogen would do ...)

Or compost them first - although 100% any one material is not going to make a good compost heap, so you'd need as-much-again of something else.

Still thinking out loud!! probably best to dig in, and apply nitrogen, if you are looking for a flying-start amount of organic matter
    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Thanks Kristen,

I am keen get to get flying start with organic matter in the soil so may go for the dig in approach and add chicken manure pellets.

since I can potentially get hold of alot of the stuff, I was thinking about enough to put a 4 - 6 inch mulch on top of the beds and then dig in ? would you say I need more?

Thanks again,

Craig

Comment

or on second thoughts, would digging in chopped nettles do the same as the chicken manure?

Comment

Originally posted by crucy86 View Post
          since I can potentially get hold of alot of the stuff, I was thinking about enough to put a 4 - 6 inch mulch on top of the beds and then dig in ? would you say I need more?

Thanks again,

Craig
          or on second thoughts, would digging in chopped nettles do the same as the chicken manure?
          Both sound fine to me. Only issue with Nettles is it is hard to gauge how much Nitrogen you are putting on, whereas with something of know assay it would be possible to calculate a suitable application rate.

If the plants look like they aren't growing well enough - particularly if they show signs of chlorosis (e.g. leaves yellowing) then you can always give some more Nitrogen. In that instance I would apply something "fast release" - like Ammonium Sulphate - to quickly correct any deficiency, before the plants are seriously stressed
          K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Thanks

Ive been emailing around and found somewhere that will give me unlimited spent hops - If I dig them into the soil, are they likely to rob nitrogen like sawdust would as they start to break down? can I combat that by adding a fert?

Thanks,

Craig
            I've used them as a mulch round plants and as a layer in lasagna beds.
            You can compost them - they shouldn't take long to break down.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X