No announcement yet.

Rubbish onions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My red onions (Red Baron) were a disaster this year as most of them formed a hard stalk. I did wonder if I'd planted them too close together. The Centurion onions came out just slightly bigger than golf ball size. Garlic was also a bit pathetic size wise, though it did form cloves.

I was thinking of doing autumn onions, DottyR - sounds as if you've had success with those.
    My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM67 View Post
      On the subject of rubbish onions - many of my red onion sets seemed to form two bulbs

Is there any apparent reason for this (I.e. poor soil, poor product, poor weather, etc) ??
      Mine to, 2 4 1, I guess
      DottyR

Comment

My first attempt at growing things this year and my onions are arwful - any tips much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forumss
        Attached Files

Comment

I don't think they look that bad, Vegboi! Better than mine by quite a long chalk.
          My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

I agree with Noosner, seen many a worse onion. The only thing I'd say is, I wouldn't have lifted them yet, they've still got lots of green on. The bulbs do swell a bit as they suck in the moisture from the leaves and this seems to work better if they still have their roots in the ground.
            My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
            Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Originally posted by vegboi View Post
              My first attempt at growing things this year and my onions are arwful - any tips much appreciated

I've grown many a crop like that!!!

Always blamed lack of water and a shady spot for the small size.

However, my onions used to flop over very early and I don't think that helped. A few years ago I netted my onion bed to keep the dog off and it had the unplanned effect of the onions growing through the net and being supported so they didn't go over early.

Best crop I'd ever grown so now do this regularly.
              The proof of the growing is in the eating.
              Leave Rotten Fruit.
              Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potasium - potash.
              Autant de têtes, autant d'avis!!!!!
              Il n'est si méchant pot qui ne trouve son couvercle.

Comment

My yellow onions did fantastic the biggest I've grown so far, however, most of my red onions bolted and they were in the same bed so I recon sometimes when people put issues down to the soil etc. It's down to the seed.
                Today I will be mainly growing Vegetables.

Tonight The bloody slugs & snails will eat them!

https://www.facebook.com/manchester....ts?ref=tn_tnmn

Comment

Originally posted by vegboi View Post
                  My first attempt at growing things this year and my onions are arwful - any tips much appreciated [ATTACH]48123[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forumss
                  Hi vegboi - I agree with MartinH

The leaves still look quite green, and it may have been wise to just leave them in the ground for longer.
                  .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X