New Allotmenteer eager to get started!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alicante View Post
    Hi, that raised bed looks very nice. You have obviously put a lot of effort in.
    I noticed two cats in one of your photos, so have you considered that it might need some twiggy or prickly sticks on top of it to start with? When I grew in a raised bed at home my cats were constantly using it as a litter tray.
    I spotted them too as I have had a similar problem with my cats. I prefer them to 'go' in my garden than someone else's but not where I'm growing veggies. You could perhaps attach some butterfly netting to the crossbar on the fence and drape it over the bed to deter them - and it will stop the blackbirds from pulling up your onions should they mistake them for worms :-) .

Comment

You guys had me looking at the latest pictures scouring for the cats like a weird game of where's wally... Thought I was going mad until I realised there was a photo further up!

Your raised bed looks really impressive well done, I've got a pallet i'm currently taking apart but will probably need a few more to make it worthwhile.

Comment

The cats have already contributed to the new bed! I have ordered some netting to keep them off, thanks for the feedback. It was hard work but I loved it, I'm already looking forward to getting stuck in again this weekend.
        'The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.'

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Anti cat net in place and the autumn onions and garlic are now in, just waiting on some more pallets for to finish the other bed as half the wood on the others was rubbish.

Attached Files
          'The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.'

Terry Pratchett

Comment

That looks as if it will keep out the most determined feline!

Comment

Nice tidy job...well done!!
              I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
              sigpic

Comment

Made a bit more progress this weekend, got the second bed in and generally tidied up the whole area. The compost bins arrived last week so I have one set up, the other is going to go to the allotment when we get one.

Attached Files

Terry Pratchett

Comment

That's a massive improvement on the original, Well done

Comment

Not been on for a while, what with the festive season and lovely weather!

The veggie plot is doing well, our onions and garlic are going great guns at the moment (despite being attacked by our neighbours fence in the high winds!) We also have some seed potatoes on order for the new bed.

However, more exciting news.....

We potentially have a plot! Either a single plot (70m2) or a triple plot (210 m2)

Hopefully we can get the bigger one, we will be visiting the allotments on Sunday morning so fingers crossed...

Time to start some more seeds of for spring!

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by alldigging View Post
                      Hello!

Sit and watch this fantastic series https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...gkAGv8W3xm_oRQ

It's very good!
                      I never saw this first time around, saw a link on here somewhere, now addicted!

Comment

We have a plot!

Went to the allotments today to have a look at a couple of options,

We opted for a triple plot, which is about 210m2

There were a couple of other options, but both were only single plots which are 70m2

There is a bit of work to do, and we need a new shed as the high winds have done for the one on the plot. It was rotten anyway and could not be rescued.

I've taken a few photos for you all

Attached Files

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Nice one, plenty to keep you busy! Hope it warms up a bit soon so you can get stuck in.
                          My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                          Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Making Progress...

Went to the plot this weekend to have a proper go at it, it is the first chance that we have had to get stuck in since signing up last weekend.

We came up with a plan and made a start on setting it out, the whole plot needs digging over as it hasn't been properly tended for about three years. On a plus side we found a large pile of bricks which we have used to start edging our main path.

Some of the turf we lifted we have used to hopefully establish a strawberry bed.

Piccies attached!

Attached Files

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X