New allotment questions!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi and welcome to the vine.
    Once upon a time I was all for the dig the entire lot and do everything as planned. However nowadays I am after the easier options. Due to the time of year and if it was me I would want to get stuck in so cover with cardboard as said (industrial estates are great. I used to work at a various plumbers merchants and there is potential for so much cardboard, pallets, damaged baths, worktops etc and if you are really nice and they are as well and if you are stuck for transporting they might deliver when they have a quite period - case of beer or tip in that case tho.)
    I would then put the bed edging on top of the cardboard (broken down pallets are good ) then fill with horsey poo. Then take it from there.

I would have a the picnic area at the top with the shed and compost heap (I couldn't see one on your plan) and put herbs here and there amongst them , then coming down I would have a central path with 6 beds (4ft x 12ftish) that went width wise just to make them the same size and ease of crop rotation but that's just me. Bed 1 roots, bed 2 brassicas, bed 3 peas and beans, bed 4 squash, (1-4 rotate annually) bed 5 cutting garden bed 6 permanent and fruit.

It depends how much time you have and how stubborn you are. Good luck and keep us updated

Comment

digging

I am also new to the allotment way of life.

I got mine January this year. mine is quite small (but big enough for me), 12m x 5m

See pics below,

couch grass and a lot of bindweed was there when I took it on.

By the end of Jan I had it all dug over, and I removed every tiny bindweed root that I could see.

I also sorted out all my paths.

Throughout summer, I hardly had any bindweed problems at all. So I was dead chuffed.

I am a digger!!!!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by chilli_grower; 18-12-2014, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmeline View Post
        If I make raised beds, can I fill them with soil from the paths or do I need to buy compost
        You don't fill beds with bought (potting) compost, it's too light & fluffy. You need something with soil in it (topsoil).

By all means use path soil, but it will be full of weed seeds, so put it at the bottom of the raised beds.
        For cheapness, you can fill the beds in layers (lasagna style), like I did: https://www.flickr.com/photos/miss-cullen-james/
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X