Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How wildlife friendly are those organic slug pellets?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That article is reall interesting boho, thanks for posting.

I've used/tried the following slug prevention methods:

Slug Pubs / beer traps - not a fan as you have to empty every day or so and also waste beer. If I had access to drip trays from a pub I would re-consider. Also, you need lots of them.

Advanced Slug Killer - Most successful method for me. It's iron phosphate based rather than metaldehyde based and I can find no mention online of it using this EDTA stuff that is the "chelating ingredient" that makes iron phosphate work properly and is harmful to earthworms. I dont know how much weight it holds but it is called "wildlife friendly" and is ok for organic farms to use. With most plants I only use a small amount at planting until the plant is established.

Slug tape - Perfect for pots but make sure the slugs dont have another route up to the plant. Not really useful for ground sowings.

Mostly growing transplanted plants rather than straight into ground - If the plants have a head start they will have more of a chance.

Bottle cloches - cut a bottle in half, put over transplanted plant. The slug could tunnel under but I have noticed much more success with these things, especially if surrounded by a light covering of Advanced Slug Killer.

I dont worry about foxes/cats getting hurt; no-one around here has had a poisoned cat and they manage to do alright walking through areas freshly sprayed with Round Up.

Dogs shouldn't be on the allotment off leash.

I also dont worry about Hedgehogs and slugs that are treated as Hedgehogs get ill off slugs anyway - there is some respiratory disease that they catch and it's the cause of wheezing hedgehogs if you've ever found one. I feed our hedgehogs as well so hopefully they dont eat any slugs unless as a last resort.

Worms and micro organisms being killed is a concern though

Comment

GAH! Information overload!

:-( seems like for every method there are reasons NOT to use it.
      I'm now thinking of back to basics - every time I'm at the plot I'll be sure to take a few of the long cocktail sticks, and when I see a slug I'll just spear it :-)

No chemicals and plenty of dead slugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Lottie View Post

Advanced Slug Killer - Most successful method for me. It's iron phosphate based rather than metaldehyde based and I can find no mention online of it using this EDTA stuff that is the "chelating ingredient" that makes iron phosphate work properly and is harmful to earthworms. I dont know how much weight it holds but it is called "wildlife friendly" and is ok for organic farms to use. With most plants I only use a small amount at planting until the plant is established.
        The one I have is the same formula, I have to say I read the article regarding the EDTA stuff, and having a bit of training in the scientific method the writing is poor, it's all opinion based upon no referenced fact; to me it's little more than scaremongering.

The EU is really strict on nasty chemicals, hence why a lot of the big firms are up in arms and lobbying so hard against the rulings being brought in to protect us and the environment. And as it goes these products are approved for use, their scientists appear to be happy with the way they work (and will understand how they work too).

Also I noted that these folks have also approved them for use: Wilko Slug Bait (MAPP 15143) « Organic Farmers & Growers and http://www.soilassociation.org/LinkC...s%3D&tabid=143 this with permission in the case of the Soil Association (I guess for their certified farms).

If the soil association have approved them for use then I think I am happy to continue sparingly sprinkling around the perimeter according to the instructions (i.e. not too regularly)

Originally posted by Mark Lottie View Post
        Mostly growing transplanted plants rather than straight into ground - If the plants have a head start they will have more of a chance.

I do tend to do this too, because the mice like seeds and seedlings too so I like to keep them out the way.

I have tried nematodes in the past which are blummin expensive but seemed to work a bit. I tried beer traps last year which are ok as long as you can keep the rain out on a windy plot!

I am just reading how to make my own slug killer mix here: The war on slugs starts at home - Telegraph

Comment

Originally posted by Bohobumble View Post
          I have tried nematodes in the past which are blummin expensive
          I make my own: slug soup

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ied_64107.html

and I use the organic pellets, under netting (the netting's up anyway to protect brassicas from pigeons)
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I've been meaning to say, they emailed me back, the sheet isn't overly informative but if anyone wants a copy then PM me your email addy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X