Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Communal Areas

Originally posted by vicpivo View Post
    Hi All, My allotment was only established in February and due to this the lottie residents are focusing their individual plots. Within the grounds we have a fairly large communal areas currently covered in brambles.

Has anyone got any photo's of more established allotments and developments of communal areas? I've heard about shops/toilets, and the residents have spoken previously about polytunnels, a pond, childrens play area etc.

I'm after inspiration! Hopefully I can get a working party together to make constructive use of the space.

Thanks

Hello Again Vicpivo
    At the North Road we have created a wonderful orchard and have planted apple, pear and nut trees along with blackberries and strawberries. We also raised funds and have bought picnic benches, so after a heavy morning weeding etc you can go and have your lunch in the orchard amongst the trees. We have swapped different bits and pieces and managed to get 4 stainless steel sink units. We have installed this on site so we can now wash our hands and our produce. The shop is great and we got lottery funding to help us buy this. It is an old container that we have recycled. We have seeds swaps, plants swaps and recycle any flower pots, containers etc. Old tyres have been cut in half and folded out to make lovely planters that are around the site. This all sounds nice but it takes a great deal of hard work and you will find it will be the same people always helping and are willing to go the extra mile whilst others just sit back and watch. We are lucky in the fact that we have a really commited group who work very very hard. You sound like a leader and I know that you will inspire your fellow gardeners....GO VICPIVO GO.....we are all behind you...GOOD LUCK

Comment

I've opened a new thread so that I can change the title and hopefully get a lot of ideas and feedback from other allotment people.

Please have a look at "Lottery Funding"

Cheers

Comment

And having visited the lottie on more than a few occasions now, I can see what's meant here.

I've got access to a petrol stimmer to 'borrow' whenever I want from a client. Trousers wants to strim 'around' the actual Lottie, naturally.

Would people seriously object if we strimmed into the communal areas to define ditches more clearly so as not to get your car stuck? I think not!
        Evidently, someone drove their car down beyond the communal parking area last year with a 4x4 and got stuck. The AA/RAC were called, and they too got stuck. If the Tractor that was called to pull them all out got stuck as well, I'm going to park in the pub car park and walk!

Comment

We have a polytunnel we can all use, various tools to borrow and a shop open Sat/Sun mornings in the summer.

Originally posted by wellie View Post
          .....well, I'm going to park in the pub car park and walk!
          We also have a Social Club at the site, so after a mornings work at the Hill, use Ladies to clean up a bit, or else you end up going in looking like Billy Scarecrow (NOT forgetting to wipe your muddy boots) then in for a sandwich (70p a roll) and either cup of tea (70p), or pint of Banks original .......

...that's what I call a communal area!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X