No announcement yet.

Allotment of Tranquillity

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exciting times ahead, your mind will be buzzing with ideas.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Clayman View Post
      anyway I had a guest drop in for lunch
      Hannibal Lector has joined the site, although I've ate a few of its offspring myself on many occasions as the blighters always get my broccoli.

The plot is looking great. There's nothing better during the winter months than getting out in the fresh air and doing a bit. It will be well worth it next spring.

Others having given good advice - and like them I can only say, little steps, do what you can, keep as much covered as possible (it helps when eventually having to deal with the real pain in the @rses like couch grass, bindweed, etc.)

Another poster used the term 'place of tranquillity' or something like that - that's what it is for me, despite the setbacks over the last few years since I've had my plot.

Some things work one year, the next year they don't, some things never work, some things always do.... it doesn't matter, there's always next year (and that always comes round fast !!).

Anyway, sorry for rambling - just ENJOY !!!
      .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Originally posted by Clayman View Post
        I did a more accurate measurement today, previously I just did it by stepping out and came to 18x36 feet a more accurate measurement today gave me a 18 1/2 x 36 1/2.
        Aye well 6" is a lot to some folk...........................
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I've just read what I posted earlier - 'Another poster used the term 'place of tranquillity' or something like that'.

I'm actually posting on the thread called 'Allotment of Tranquillity'

OK, I've had a hard week at work, it's Friday night, I'm drunk - Sue me !!!
          .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Great work. Looks like you've got into the groove. You're welcome to come dig over my plot if you want a bit more practice. It all looks great. I am sure you'll find you'll grow more than you expect.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM67 View Post
              I've just read what I posted earlier - 'Another poster used the term 'place of tranquillity' or something like that'.

I'm actually posting on the thread called 'Allotment of Tranquillity'

OK, I've had a hard week at work, it's Friday night, I'm drunk - Sue me !!!
              Its OK Kevin.
              Clayman's got his plot and you've lost yours Enjoy your weekend

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                Aye well 6" is a lot to some folk...........................
                Ohh matron.

Originally posted by dilettante View Post
                Great work. Looks like you've got into the groove. You're welcome to come dig over my plot if you want a bit more practice. It all looks great. I am sure you'll find you'll grow more than you expect.
                My weeds would feel neglected if I had an affair with someone else's weeds.

Comment

This is the plan I've come up with, the large bed will be my fruit bed. The square between the decking (pallets covered over) and the compost bins I'm thinking of rhubarb, wondering if it would be too shady, grown rhubarb before but will find out more about it growing in a shady spot. The two smaller beds near the greenhouse will be earmarked for herbs and strawberries, the beds could have been larger or smaller but I've got hold of some 6ft planks so there ideal for 6x3 beds plus I'm doing the square foot method.

Any input of planting or pointers were I could hit problems are greatly appreciated, I will also be planting down the sides of the plot with various flowers, bulbs etc. Im not going to put a fence up as I'm thinking of some homemade edging bit like the half log ones they have in the garden centre's.

Comment

hi there...you're working really hard- and doing a great job! well done!

My first thoughts with you plan is that you are losing quite a lot of potential growing space by only having 2 and 3 FT wide beds, and more pathways.
                    4 ft is pretty standard as you can reach the centre from both sides without having to stand on the soil and compress it.
                    Personally I'd go with 4 FT deep apart from the beds against the fencing.
                    How wide are the paths? 2 FT minimum for walking or kneeling sideways and 3 ft for areas you need to push a wheelbarrow( allowing for plants overhanging the edges of the beds will narrow that down to 2 FT .
                    When I had raised beds on my lottie I had just over 2 FT paths so I could get the mower down them and 3 ft for the central path.
                    I'd fill a bucket with weeds and tip them into the barrow which I left in the central pathway.

For me.....Fewer beds 4 FT deep would be the way to go....( the 6x6 still means leaving a small pathway to tread on but would work for bushes etc!)
                    Last edited by Nicos; 26-10-2015, 07:35 AM.
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks Nicos, the paths are 2ft wide. I planned the beds at 6x3 because I've got hold of some decking planks and there 6ft long, I didn't go with 6x4 as I'd use up more planks plus more waste with 2ft leftover from the 4ft lengths, at the moment I don't know the exact number of planks so if I have enough I may take your 6x4 on board.

Bed 1 6x2 I've pencilled in as the Herb Bed, I got hold of some of those flower buckets they have at supermarkets and thinking of using those, so I'll be able to get 12 buckets into that bed, I'm saying bed but if I go with the herb idea it'll be a box like structure.

Comment

Went to the allotment today for a bit of a dig, anyway I get home and go in the house but 5 minutes later I remember I'd left my wallet in the van so I go back to the van and somebodies left a composter at the back of the van

Comment

Not posted for a bit for various reasons I'll not bore you with, anyway I'll be updating it with were I am on the plot and also photos. I've gone down a different path on the plan of the plot so will have to post a new plan, the change of plan came about as I've ended up with not 1, not 2 but 3 allotments. The first plot which is on an site which is unamed but will be called The Dray Allotments to stop any confusion is the one I've talked about in this thread, only small at 18x36 feet. The second one that I've been invited to take over is called Weston Allotments which I've yet to visit so not sure at the moment what size of plot it is although pretty certain it isn't a full plot, the third called The Bicky Allotments is still at the planning stage so no idea what size or anything, this is the one I'm most excited about as it will be a brand new site.

The reason I changed tact on the Dray Allotment plot is the Weston site you aren't allowed any permanent structure so I was running out of sowing, potting space. So because the Dray site is nearest I'm putting a small polytunnel/greenhouse on it to cover my needs for at least the Dray & Weston sites, hopefully and I'm crossing fingers the Bicky site is a full plot and also one that allows structures. If the Bicky one is full size then I'd hand the Weston to someone else as 3 plots would be too much and both the Dray and Bicky sites are within just over a mile from where I live.

Onto what I've been getting ready, well I found out I can't plan things proper or maybe count not sure which. See I had intended to plant 60 potato tubers but I've ended with 120, 20 of which I've already planted, Vivaldi variety. The other 100 are still chitting but will go in soon. I did have a major disaster on the seed sowing front, I sowed different seeds in propagators and kept checking them, only to go away for a few days completely forgetting them to comeback and find out the condensation had built up and flooded the seeds.

So at the moment seed wise I have Aubergine Black Beauties doing very well, three Pea varieties those being Canoe, Alexandra and Celebration. Also three bean varieties those being Borlotto, Teepee a dwarf variety and Scarlet Empire, Also got an experiment with one bean an unknown variety which I found in the cupboard in a jar. Also got some Greek Oregano, Parsley, Thyme Orange Scented, Basil both Red Leaved and the normal garden sort. Along with Rocket, three types of Strawberry those being Florence, Elsanta and Honeoye, Sunflower Giant Single and Giant Yellow however these were in the propagator disaster but some have come up. I've also got some Chives, Spinach, Pak Choi and some Spring Onions. Think I've forgot some but will look in my allotment diary which I've also started, oh one other thing I've started is a wormery. As I said I'll post some pics and more info as the days go by.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X