Prospective Tenant - Organisation for people with learning difficulties

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alldigging View Post
    A group contacted us about wanting a plot but it turned out after a few months of them not responding to invites to visit that they actually wanted something they could visit every month. You can't tend an allotment properly in an hour a month.
    Maybe this group is more dedicated and actually wants an allotment.
    I work as an engineer. When I first started this was even more rare than now for a woman. When I was at college I looked for a work placement and contacted various companies. One guy told me he didn't want to employ me as they'd had a woman once and she was useless. I was quite rightly furious with this response as he'd based his opinion purely on one experience which is clearly ridiculous. I use this example as a comparison to the above discussion about the way in which groups would manage a plot. Perhaps the previous female engineer was rubbish, it didn't mean I was. As said, this group could well be more dedicated and shouldn't be judged on a single, unrelated experience that has left a bad taste. Somebody else has made the point that this group should be treated exactly as any other prospective plot holder, I can't think of ant circumstances where fairness is not the right way forwards.

Oh and the whole physical disability thing is a total red herring so can we stop using that as a discussion point please?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

What the hell happened to this thread?

OP asked for pointers on contacts/who had experience of letting a plot to an organisation working with disability/learning difficulties...

I for one don't see a problem with asking for help - I'd do the same. I do know the Mencap plot in Sutton has been very successful and they are taking on a second on the site.

I hope you can resolve it with your Committee. If you have no joy in contacting Sutton (if you want to!), send me a PM and I'll see if I can put you in touch with the site rep (not a council employee).
      http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Cripes! I've really started something here haven't I!? Sorry for the delay in responding, I haven't been near a computer all weekend.
        Well the majority are now against the application made so its going to be a no.
        Sadly everything appears to be based on 'assumptions' rather than asking the organisation the relevant questions.
        Thanks for all the posts, I will try and go back and respond to any.

Comment

That's a shame..............is it discrimination?.................I don't know.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by suzynick View Post
            Sadly everything appears to be based on 'assumptions' rather than asking the organisation the relevant questions.
            Ohhh thats not good, it's a shame some/many people have pre-concieved opinions
            He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
              That's a shame..............is it discrimination?.................I don't know.
              Sadly it sounds like it although maybe they'd be against any other group getting one too...

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by suzynick View Post
                Cripes! I've really started something here haven't I!? Sorry for the delay in responding, I haven't been near a computer all weekend.
                Thanks for all the posts, I will try and go back and respond to any.
                Going on what you've posted - if it was me, I'd go back to the committee and say you've had an enquiry from the local scouts/brownies group for renting a plot.

The same issues of insurance, Health & Safety Policy, safeguarding on their part, etc. would all be as relevant to them as the organisation they've knocked back.

I'm just an argumentative bu99er though....
                .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  Hi Suzy and welcome
                  Can I ask how many plots there are on your site and whether you have a waiting list?
                  Just trying to understand why the committee are being so difficult about this.
                  Would you normally consult them about letting a plot?
                  In my experience, gardeners are always welcoming and enjoy sharing their knowledge and produce with everyone, and I mean everyone.
                  I'm disappointed that you have had to come here to ask about this.
                  Hi
                  Thanks for your reply. We have about thirty plots and currently a very short waiting list.
                  No I don't normally consult anyone, however I thought best to mention this particular application as we have not had group applications before.

Comment

If they'd fairly applied the rules (e.g. if there was a rule which said no groups) then as unfortunate as it would be, I don't think there would be any more to say.

It appears though that some people have chosen to make a decision which may be based on opinion, assumption or bias since it would appear that they have not waited for any facts to be presented to them.

Personally, I think you need a new committee.
                    Posted on an iPad so apologies for any randomly auto-corrected gobbledegook

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                      I'd like the OP to tell us more about the status of the allotment. All we know is
                      We are not a council owned allotment, we rent from a local farmer
                      Who knows what agreement they have with the farmer, what rules they have or insurance? It could be completely different to the standard rules that we are familiar with.
                      Just saying!!
                      We pay the farmer a yearly rate, he doesn't really care about what happens within.
                      Basic rules really that are in need of updating.
                      Liability insurance which caused a big hoo hah with certain members when we got it as they said people would find out we had it and then put a claim in!!! So they were against us getting it!

Comment

Originally posted by spamvindaloo View Post
                        If they'd fairly applied the rules (e.g. if there was a rule which said no groups) then as unfortunate as it would be, I don't think there would be any more to say.

It appears though that some people have chosen to make a decision which may be based on opinion, assumption or bias since it would appear that they have not waited for any facts to be presented to them.

Personally, I think you need a new committee.
                        I think people just want to keep the peace and don't want to be dealing with what will come if we let them have a plot. We have certain individuals not just on the committee whom like to cause trouble, and I can almost guarantee there would be some issues once word got round. New committee definitely but if no-one else volunteers and the original committee are happy staying on even though they don't do anything it's just not ever going to change :-( I think they need to replace the secretary too if I'm honest, and yes that's me!

Comment

Thanks Suzy. I don't envy you, having to "work" with a committee like that. To be honest, they sound more difficult to deal with than any group could be.
                          Such a shame that a group that is keen to garden is denied the chance for no good reason.
                          I hope there are other sites locally where they will be made welcome.
                          Good luck!

Comment

I have just read through this thread and would like to make one point.

If the decision to turn down the application was made purely on the ground that 'groups are not allowed' that's fine.

If however that decision was made because of the fact these folk have learning difficulties then I see that as pure discrimination.

If I were the OP I would resign with immediate effect because the doo doo could well hit the fan big time.
                            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Thanks all. Nothing in the rules about groups/organisations having a plot, so in light of all this I may well be handing in the job.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X