Strawberry pollination

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawberry pollination

I want to cover my strawberries to keep the pigeons off. I have a roll of that micro netting that keeps carrot fly at bay. Do you think the flowers will get pollinated under it?

That is likely to be too small a gauge to let the pollinating insects through. However if you don't net until the fruits have started to form (birds only tend to go for them when they start to ripen) you'll be OK.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Hello and welcome to the Grapevine!
      You'll need a mesh that's large enough for a bee to fly through for polllination. Can you make a frame to keep the mesh off the strawberries to stop the birds landing on it?

Some ideas at http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ont_89900.html

Comment

Nope..I doubt it.
        I used to use fleece on our lottie but .....took it off almost daily whilst we were down there.
        That worked.
        So...if you are happy removing it regularly whilst you are around ( bird scarer) then you would be OK
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I had strawberries in the tunnel. They are nearly finished now so when they were flowering there weren't many insects about and they were all fine. Covering them won't hurt.
          Last edited by roitelet; 04-06-2016, 10:11 AM.
          Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
            I had strawberries in the tunnel. They are nearly finished now so when they were flowering there weren't many insects about and they were all fine. Covering them won't hurt.
            Ummm? I wonder if they self pollinate, or if they're enough midges and ground hugging insects to do the job?
            Thanks for your comments

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X