No announcement yet.

I have another half plot yippppeee

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well done with the plot - and it comes equipped with a treasure trove of not so shiny tools too!
    http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Impressive progress!!

But... 60 brassicas? !?!?! What do you do with 60 brassicas? ?

Comment

Originally posted by 1Bee View Post
        Impressive progress!!

But... 60 brassicas? !?!?! What do you do with 60 brassicas? ?
        Hey my mum used to go mad with me when I was a kid, when we had a cauli for dinner she would give everyone else what they wanted and I had the rest of it. I could eat them till the cows come home so if this extra plot was planted completely with them it wouldn't be enough for me.

I now eat a whole cauli myself with a cooked dinner, never gone off them. But Brussels are another thing, hated them as a kid but don't dislike them now just tolerate them if not cooked too much.

Just counted in the kitchen I have 41 waiting to be planted out still in vending machine plastic cups. more are sat in the greenhouse.

Going down with my new Titan 4 in 1 muti tool with the brush cutter to decimate the weeds at the bottom, then may use the strimmer attachment afterwards to tidy up whats left.
        The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck ...

... is the day they make vacuum cleaners

Comment

More small progress as I've managed to get rid of alot of brambles on the right of the pics by cutting them down using my petrol Brush Cutter.

There will be more use of the Brush Cutter and then i'll use the strimmer attachment later to get close to the soil, final act will be to use the chain saw attachment to get the trees down on the right of the picture to let the light in.

Attached Files

Comment

OK folks

The latest update is that all the thick weeds have been chopped down, binned and removed. Pictures show the BIG trunk that I will be asking the council to chop up and remove.

Still unsure about the shed structure but may take some down and then re-work it but that's later.

Had my gob smacked again when I was brush cutting the mass of bindweed on the left and hit a metal object, stopped to investigate and pulled out the orange wheelbarrow worth about £80 and brand new. Got a green one at home so know how much they are, not cheap because they have a pneumatic tyre on them.

Here's the latest pics:

Attached Files
            Last edited by Muddy_Boots; 24-07-2016, 07:14 PM. Reason: added another piccie

Comment

Just catching up now as I've been offline for the past month and WOW!!!!!!! It's looking good! And you've certainly unearthed some treasure too. When you said shed at the beginning I thought it would be a small dilapidated one like mine but there's seriously good wood in your unfinished one!
              If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

I'm back on the forum after a long break and alot of hard work on the new plot which is why I'm posting on again as its ALL dug over, and I need to post pics of the progress now.

Basically there is going to be a soft fruit cage at the front third of the plot and the other two thirds will have potatoes and sweet potatoes and some pumpkins plus any waifs and strays that I can't find a home in my old plot.

The two thirds need crops like potatoes, pumpkins and sweet potatoes as it has not been dug for a few years and is full of Dock, Twitch, Bramble, Nettle and any other weed that you can imagine. The front third where the fruit are and are due to be planted is basically weed free of perennials and now has 6 Gooseberry bushes (1 green donated and 5 red from my other plot, 28 Raspberry canes (3 varieties x 6 bought and 10 split from one found on the plot already), 1 Blackcurrant bush from my old plot and soon to be added 3 x Redcurrant bushes from the pound shop.

Now here's a question I want your opinion on, the plot the other side is an abandoned plot and has been for a number of years and as I cleared my plot I told the woman from the council I would be felling the trees that were on said plot as they were detrimental to mine and she had no objection. Last Autumn and this Winter they have all fallen down in mysterious circumstances and put themselves in piles on the plot next door and look as if they will spontaneously combust before spring arrives.

Would it be worth doing some guerrilla gardening on the plot next door as the places where the funeral pyres take place will be weed free and it will probably encourage someone to take the plot on. I don't mind if someone takes the plot after I've planted it with more spuds as they hopefully develop the plot even further and it won't matter to me if I lose what is there. What are your thoughts on that?

Comment

It's always a plus to keep the ground worked so if nobody objects I don't see why you can't.
                  sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                  -----------------------------------------------------------
                  KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

A few years ago I took on plot for free that no one wanted. I told the committee I would tidy it up and plant it, but would leave if they managed to let it.

They didn't let it so I took it on the following year with payment.

I have now given up my two old plots and moved on to a single new plot!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy_Boots View Post

Now here's a question I want your opinion on, the plot the other side is an abandoned plot and has been for a number of years and as I cleared my plot I told the woman from the council I would be felling the trees that were on said plot as they were detrimental to mine and she had no objection. Last Autumn and this Winter they have all fallen down in mysterious circumstances and put themselves in piles on the plot next door and look as if they will spontaneously combust before spring arrives.

Would it be worth doing some guerrilla gardening on the plot next door as the places where the funeral pyres take place will be weed free and it will probably encourage someone to take the plot on. I don't mind if someone takes the plot after I've planted it with more spuds as they hopefully develop the plot even further and it won't matter to me if I lose what is there. What are your thoughts on that?
                      Yep I think so. If the ground is free and you're willing to lose what you put into it then go for it

Comment

Welcome back by the way

I've been away myself, won't bore you with the details, but it's good to be here.

You're probably aware that the photos have gone awol at the moment but new ones if kept small post ok. So the usual "we love pictures" still applies

Comment

You're probably aware that the photos have gone awol at the moment but new ones if kept small post ok. So the usual "we love pictures" still applies
                          Hi John

Its good to be back, was wondering where all the piccies had gone on the posts got loads of them on my phone (when I remembered to take it) so will remind you all what it was like and what its like now.

Even I cannot believe what I've managed so far, the man cave I inherited still has lots to be done to it but now the majority of the digging has been done I can concentrate more on getting the final job done before the ground gets harder, and the woman from the council walks round inspecting the plots in her high heels and has a fit about me completing the work on it. (I kid you not, that's not me being sexist she does actually walk round in high heels)

Comment

OK everyone, with the absence of the original pics here's a reminder of what I took on last year.

Just one picture which don't need explaining but I was at one point negotiating about the rights to film 'I'm a celebrity' on it but the only thing missing was the jungle noises.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Plot1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	2371075

And here is what it looks like now after alot of hard work and digging over most of last year just digging 2-3 rows at a time when I had the chance.

Name:	20170122_165436.jpg
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	2371076

Comment

Wow!....wow!!!
                              Well done you!...I can almost feel the aches from doing all that

Bet you must feel chuffed to bits!
                              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

These are more pics of the tree that was a BIG problem on the abandoned plot next door. didn't like doing what I did but it was being killed by the Ivy.

The 'oracle' told me it was a hawthorn which had been part of the boundary fence but had been left and ended up a tree which Ivy had choked.

You can see by the separated piles how much was Ivy and how much Hawthorn and what an absolute mess the plot next door was with trees that had self-set and brambles that have massive stalks. I'm hoping when the burn happens to destroy most of the brambles crowns in the ground and the weeds.

Here's the pics:

Name:	Next_Plot1.jpg
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	2371077Click image for larger version

Name:	Next_Plot2.jpg
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	2371078Click image for larger version

Name:	Next_Plot3.jpg
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	2371079

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X