No announcement yet.

Stealing Topsoil from my allotment

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I was you, i'd have a quick walk around your allotment site...

Keep an eye out for someone who has "Very recently" created a couple of boxed-in "raised beds on their plot"....

Nicely filled to the brim Raised beds with no obvious source of where the extra soil has come from...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bones View Post
      Well it's not me, for a start..
      Indeed I had already ruled you out as you are more likely to be dug up than the one doing the digging
      I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
      sigpic

Comment

Likelihood is someone has taken it either for raised beds as you need a fair amount of soil/amendments to fill an average sized (2.4x1.2m)/depth bed.

Or someone may have taken it to add to a recently excavated compost heap over winter that they are now refilling with muck, biodegradable waste etc.

Maybe a plot holder unhappy with the clay soil or poor soil depth. They may have complained or made throwing comments to plot holders and committee in the past. Run it past your committee. They sometimes have an inkling as to those with a colourful past!

Comment

I don’t have an allotment, so I’ve no advice to offer but I just can’t believe this! Have you had a look around your site?

Comment

Not necessarily another plot holder. There is a good market for topsoil and there are dodgy operators in every business, including landscaping. I've heard of people's lawns being dug up and (presumably) sold for turf. There's no limit to what criminals will do to turn a fast buck (as the Americans say.) I'm sure you can imagine the "tarmac your drive?" operators turning their hand to "need any topsoil?"

Around here stone is being stolen all the time - out of existing walls, paving stones being lifted etc. They don't care if it's a retaining wall - they still nick the stones and then the owner has to repair it quickly or a whole hillside can collapse. Sometimes I despair.
            Last edited by Mitzi; 15-02-2018, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the comments.

Unfortunately it was enough to break the camels back and I've decided not to renew the allotment. After 15 years circumstances have changed and I wasn't getting as much fun from it as I used to.

I'll continue growing things in the polytunnel and greenhouses at home and I'm going to turn over a bed to growing fruit & vegetables here.

Comment

Sorry to hear this Mark but, when it stops being a pleasure and becomes a hassle, its time to stop. You'll be able to do so much more at home now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitzi View Post
                  Not necessarily another plot holder. There is a good market for topsoil and there are dodgy operators in every business, including landscaping. I've heard of people's lawns being dug up and (presumably) sold for turf. There's no limit to what criminals will do to turn a fast buck (as the Americans say.) I'm sure you can imagine the "tarmac your drive?" operators turning their hand to "need any topsoil?"

Around here stone is being stolen all the time - out of existing walls, paving stones being lifted etc. They don't care if it's a retaining wall - they still nick the stones and then the owner has to repair it quickly or a whole hillside can collapse. Sometimes I despair.
                  Your not alone in experiencing that...what a 'Sad' state of affairs.
                  Gp
                  Never Let the BAD be the Enemy of the GOOD

Conservation and Preservation for the Future Generation

Comment

Originally posted by MarkPelican View Post
                    Thanks for all the comments.

Unfortunately it was enough to break the camels back and I've decided not to renew the allotment. After 15 years circumstances have changed and I wasn't getting as much fun from it as I used to.

I'll continue growing things in the polytunnel and greenhouses at home and I'm going to turn over a bed to growing fruit & vegetables here.
                    So sorry to hear you have been forced to take this action ,but can fully understand how you must be feeling.

I was contemplating taking an allotment just down the road(300 Yards)

.After speaking to Plot holders and reading things on here Re Vandalism, Selfishness, jealousy etc, I decided to Not go there and built raised beds in my back yard,plus loads of pots/containers etc.

I grow as much and as many varieties to fill my needs, 10 steps from my back door, I can see from my bedroom window.

If anybody wants to break in they have PIR lights and Locked entrances to get by.

Added advantage is...if my containers are not getting enough Sun, I can move them etc.
                    Tea and Coffee is always on hand and a 'Sit in the Sun' to admire, everything is only a few steps away.

I can light the BBq with one hand whilst tending plants with the other .....Who needs a 'Lottie'..

Enjoy your new 'Experience.
                    Gp
                    Never Let the BAD be the Enemy of the GOOD

Conservation and Preservation for the Future Generation

Comment

Really sorry you've had to abandon your plot, Mark. Hope you get lots of pleasure growing at home.

Comment

Aye... Its a sad day when they steal the soil from under your feet.

There are times when I'm digging my plot. Stop for a breather and think ... images of buddies and friends down the allotment, and perhaps a pint on the way back up the road.

All you hear from the Vine is a cross between East Enders and Minder.

All best in your new venture.... And you can always pop inside for a cuppa.

Comment

Sad to hear that Mark - hope all goes well for you growing at home.
                          sigpic
                          1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

Stop for a breather and think ... images of buddies and friends down the allotment, and perhaps a pint on the way back up the road.

This is what I iamgined plot holding was like. This thread has kicked plot holding into the long grass for me and I will continue to swap lawn & flower beds for fruit & veg beds

Comment

My site hasn't suffered much in the way of theft and is pleasantly sociable - I've made some good friends there. I think that if you have a hankering for a plot you should give it a go - the sort of experience Mark went through does happen but not at every plot... and people are less likely to start a thread about a 'pleasantly sociable' place than about a bad event.
                              sigpic
                              1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

I would never want anybody to use my experience over this winter to stop them having an allotment. I've had many years of fun, trials and tribulations at the allotment.

When I started, it was hard to get an allotment, there were lots of people willing to help and conversations were many and varied. Over the years, the number of people at the allotment has dwindled with something like 50% of plots now not being regularly worked so you can go many days without seeing a soul.

Other sites are different and I would always recommend someone to have an allotment, particularly if they don't have a large garden.

There's nothing to say I won't start again (somewhere else nearer) another year.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X