Stealing Topsoil from my allotment

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stealing Topsoil from my allotment

I went to my allotment today. First time this year so I expected it to be a bit scruffy. Because the ground is heavy clay, I don't do a lot until it has started to dry out.

I half expected my shed to have been damaged by the strong winds we've had over the winter and I wasn't disappointed. I even thought that somebody might have broken in a had a look around. Again I wasn't disappointed, my wheelbarrow had been taken as had all the connectors on my hosepipe (they'd taken the hosepipe off its drum and taken all the connectors but left the hosepipe itself).

What I wasn't expecting was that they would have put the plastic cover from my (just left the allotment) next door neighbour's blow-away greenhouse into my shed (why?)

Finally I really wasn't expecting that somebody would have taken a load of topsoil from my allotment beds. My allotment consists of eleven 6ft by 22ft beds with weed suppressant paths between them. Somebody had been and taken a spit depth of soil from four foot of five of the beds. Why?? I assume they'd used my wheelbarrow to take it away but REALLY, SOIL!

Makes me want to give up. How can people be so ..........

Noooo...that just beggars belief.

Do you think someone might think that is now their new allotment?
    Just a thought.....
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Do you think someone probably thought your plot had been vacated so they were getting in there before the next allotmenter. Removing soils an odd thing but I’ve heard this with empty plots. They might’ve put the blowaway plastic in your shed to stop it blowing onto their plants,they could be feeling really guilty if they see you’re still there,I don’t know but dont let them affect your year of excellence on the plot!

Comment

Now I am believing I am my own culprit to the crime here!

I have kept my plot in pretty much prestige condition the last few years, but unfortunately this last year gone by I have had a few issues to deal with regarding family issues and sadly my plot got put on a back burner! It's not Wrack n ruin, don't get me wrong but it's not what it as been, and the committee have had feelings so!

Rightly they should!

But upon my last visit! Hey It's an allotment, these thing are for easy pickings, and neither the police or anybody else in some sort of authority seems to give a "Hoot"

But like yourself! I get the fact things like pots, baskets, tubs, have a material value, but come on! Taking an hanging basket of strawberries which my granddaughter grew and asked me to grow on, the Aspedistra which came from my late departed mothers house which is as old as me! (I took it down there to have a cold spell to try make it Pup) and the several pots of newly pupped "Aloe Vera's!" Which seems to me, it would be another plot holder!

It is annoying, I must agree! But no! I am not giving up my enjoyment for a few ill thoughted people, and will be keeping my eyes open!

I really hope you decide to do the same!

Part of "Allotmenteering" Unfortuanatly" Mark!
        "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Originally posted by MarkPelican View Post
          I went to my allotment today. First time this year so I expected it to be a bit scruffy. Because the ground is heavy clay, I don't do a lot until it has started to dry out.

I half expected my shed to have been damaged by the strong winds we've had over the winter and I wasn't disappointed. I even thought that somebody might have broken in a had a look around. Again I wasn't disappointed, my wheelbarrow had been taken as had all the connectors on my hosepipe (they'd taken the hosepipe off its drum and taken all the connectors but left the hosepipe itself).

What I wasn't expecting was that they would have put the plastic cover from my (just left the allotment) next door neighbour's blow-away greenhouse into my shed (why?)

Finally I really wasn't expecting that somebody would have taken a load of topsoil from my allotment beds. My allotment consists of eleven 6ft by 22ft beds with weed suppressant paths between them. Somebody had been and taken a spit depth of soil from four foot of five of the beds. Why?? I assume they'd used my wheelbarrow to take it away but REALLY, SOIL!

Sorry to hear your bad news ....!!

My first thought was that they thought it was their new plot.
          Then 'Brass fittings' for scrap'..??
          Top soil, they clearly wanted badly to go to those lengths...?? SO NOW i'M Thinking....are they growing something SMELLY indoors somewhere....not too far away maybe.

Just my Suspicious mind .
          Never Let the BAD be the Enemy of the GOOD

Conservation and Preservation for the Future Generation

Comment

MP, sorry to hear that. Scumbags was my first thought and cant write the second

Comment

that's really rubbish - sorry to hear that.

Put a note up saying you are cross about it as you had just got a quote to get rid off the Japanese Knotweed in it, as see who goes pale...

Comment

That is gobsmackingly shocking. It beggars belief. And not cheap to replace, either. So sorry to hear your news.

Comment

Unbelievable Jeff

What sort of people are out there?
                  Stealing soil suggests (to me) someone not so far away is your culprit...(maybe I should have been a detective
                  I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                  sigpic

Comment

Follow the wheeltracks, Inspector Trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Tripmeup View Post
                      Stealing soil suggests (to me) someone not so far away is your culprit...
                      Well it's not me, for a start..
                      Location ... Nottingham

Comment

I was going to say if it is not nailed down then it will be stolen... but then again, reading "someone is on my plot" even allotments can be stolen

Comment

Wow that's really bad, have a look around the allotment I would bet it's one of your neighbours as Who's gonna carry away that much soiltoo far

Comment

Originally posted by Durham_Digger View Post
                            Wow that's really bad, have a look around the allotment I would bet it's one of your neighbours as Who's gonna carry away that much soiltoo far
                            Yes, someone who just made new raised beds, would be my guess

It deffo needs reporting to committee council whoever is in charge..
                            Last edited by Thelma Sanders; 14-02-2018, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkPelican View Post

~

wow. shocking. Absolutely awful.
                              Has it gone anywhere you can see?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X