Unknown flower springing up everywhere

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown flower springing up everywhere

There does not seem to be a correct right forum for this but it is on my allotment so....

On my allotment there are these flowers springing up everywhere and i have no idea what they are. the ground has been disturbed and i have added horse manure- so seeds could have come from either of these places or blown in etc.

Anyone have any idea what they are? And are they invasive?

thanks
    Attached Files

I think they're snapdragons?

Don't know if they're likely to be a problem though, sorry.

Claire
    I was feeling part of the scenery
    I walked right out of the machinery
    My heart going boom boom boom
    "Hey" he said "Grab your things
    I've come to take you home."

Comment

Looks like snapdragon (antirhinnium?) to me too. Very pretty flowers and they cost a bit in the garden centre. My younger son loves these.

If they are in the way, dig them up with a good clod of earth and plant them somewhere you can enjoy them - think it should work.
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

yep, antirhiniums! They seed everywhere! but are lovely.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the very fast answers,

brilliant. I will dig them up and plant in my flower section of the allotment.

They are very nice indeed- i am glad that i leave some rough patches to see what the 'weeds' turn into!

Comment

They look lovely - can anyone give me a clue as to what sort of seeds I could get for something similar?
            ~
            Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
            ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Originally posted by JennieAtkinson View Post
              They look lovely - can anyone give me a clue as to what sort of seeds I could get for something similar?
              Hi Iainhawk,
              Looks like a case for letting some go to seed and then doing a seed swap with Jennie (Happy Birthday by the way Jennie)
              Clare
              A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

PM me your address Jennie - I think I bought seeds last year and didn't use them - I can send them to you if you like
                Happy Gardening,
                Shirley

Comment

Oooh thanks! I wasn't angling for a seed swap, just wanted to know what to look for in the garden centre!
                  ~
                  Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                  ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

You all probably know this anyway but....the reason they are called snapdragons is because if you take a flower off and hold it sideways between your thumb and index finger and press gently the dragon flower will appear to open and shut it's mouth, hence snapdragon, methinks.

Good for getting kids interested in flowers!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Jennie
                      I got some seed from Chiltern last year, easy to grow and got lots of plants, lovely freckly pink on white. Think they have quite a few varieties on offer.
                      best wishes
                      Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                        You all probably know this anyway but....the reason they are called snapdragons is because if you take a flower off and hold it sideways between your thumb and index finger and press gently the dragon flower will appear to open and shut it's mouth, hence snapdragon, methinks.

Good for getting kids interested in flowers!
                        We used to call them "bunny rabbits" when you do this, especially if you put the bigger one on top. We have loads around from a packet from Lidl.
                        Bright Blessings
                        Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Oooh thanks! I wasn't angling for a seed swap, just wanted to know what to look for in the garden centre!
                          Not a problem, got about three packets of different size ones I think so if you want some (I ended up buying a couple of plants as I forgot to plant the seeds) just PM and I will pop them in the post.
                          Happy Gardening,
                          Shirley

Comment

Thanks Shirley
                            ~
                            ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X