X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watering Tomatoes

Hi all.

This is my first year of growing... Well, anything. Had varying levels of success with everything. I had two tomato plants. One was a cherry which produced loads and loads of delicious fruit until the poor thing got covered in fungus courtesy of the Alicante plant beside it.

What happened with the Alicante was that the fruit split before it ripened and I didn't know to pick them off so they developed a fungus-type thing, which then spread. I know that irregular watering cause splitting but I watered them every day, mindful that under-watering can cause splitting. I grew them in buckets and heard that the compost should be kept moist but not wet. Clearly, I under-watered but how on earth do you gauge how much is too much or too little? I had planned on erring on the side of over-watering next year but, last night, I heard Monty say that over-watering can stress tomato plants too.

Any advice anyone? I'd really like to grow about ten tomato plants next year and I may just stick to cherries but, even so, I'm a bit wary because it's so gutting to fail at the final hurdle.

Comment

I've added your query to the archived and closed thread about plant watering. It's the best advice anyone could give you - have a watch of the video.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X