This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• today was the day i convinced the kids it was good fun to do gardening
    took kids to garden centre to have a look around - found pretty gardening gloves that my daughter just had to have - and the boy wanted gloves too - and both promised to help me in the garden
    so i took advantage - big time! i dug over the patch for my carrots / beets / swedes and they pulled the weeds out - then i sowed all the seeds
    got the kids to water everything in the greenhouse and do various sorting out etc
    http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

• Filled some buckets with seived garden soil and planted some Autumn King and Chantenay Red Core carrots. Hoping they will be ready in mid-winter. Intention is to plant some more in a couple weeks.
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

• Started into my last drill of Lady Christl.
        Planted out leeks and lettuces.
        Came home and started into my VAT return - really should keep on top of my paperwork better.
        Ordered set of trade approved scales - what a price
        Registered with Highland Council as market trader for next Dornoch Farmers Market
        Applied to join Highland Local Food Network
        Oh yeah, nearly forgot - I caught the wabbit that has been tunneling into my polytunnel
        Rat

British by birth
        Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
        http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Continued to pick and shell peas and broad beans, made more courgette soup for the freezer and gave away three courgette to visiting friends. Moved furniture around the house to create a workroom just for me (gardening is easier than moving furniture but I will appreciate today's efforts during the winter months) and battled in the wind to walk the dog (feels more like winter now).
          ~
          Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
          ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

• Worst day ever for me. Had to pull 40 tomato plants that succumed to blight. Am absolutely gutted. This never happened to me before. I supposeI am lucky, I still have 15 in the greenhouse.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Sorry to hear that Bramble. Know the feeling - 30 buckets of spuds and 6 outdoor tomatoes. Still, at least we both have the greenhouse toms to cheer us up.

Further to my previous post for today, I found baby courgettes on all my 3 plants - 3 each on 2 plants and 2 on the third - time to search out the recipes methinks.
              Happy Gardening,
              Shirley

Comment

• Picked raps.. now 23kg to date. Almost all done:-(
                Treated new turkey house.
                Started making turkey fencing.
                Planted out some busy lizzies to fill vacant space.
                Planted out Passion Flower.
                Picked tomatoes.

On hunt for mouse in greenhouse eating tomatoes. CLosed all possible entrances and set trap.... (caught 5 earlier this year).

Comment

• I cleared the early peas - got another dinner from them before they went to the compost. Replaced them with spring onions from modules. Lifted the shallots - some are HUGE - roasting tin here we come! Dug over the bed It had some bindweed so I'm hoping they sprout again and I'll Roundup them to death! Started to clear an overgrown flower bed in an out of the way border. Took an hour to do about a sq yard. Long job!
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

• Went to the Hill tonight and took all the haulms off the tops of the blighty spuds - can at last see the rows!
                    Dug up 2 rows - spuds look like perfection itself - took a sackful round to Partner-in-grime Jane.
                    Noticed about 3 of the tommy plants have got brown blotchy leaves...and we know what that means, don't we?? Pulled the plants up, hope blight will not spread as I want tommies more than ever since Wellie sent me some in the post today.

4 more rows to dig tomorrow.....
                    Last edited by Hazel at the Hill; 30-07-2007, 08:32 PM.

Comment

• Removed the haulms of the desiree tatties - they do have the beginnings of blight.
                      You are a child of the universe,
                      no less than the trees and the stars;
                      you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

• Spent seven hours on my plot today......

lovely day.....

did loads....

Geo..

Comment

• Shirl, sorry to hear about your toms and spuds as well.I had such great plans for all the soup, salsa and tomato sauce i was going to make, but it was'nt to be this year. Theres always next year I suppose but it seems such a long way away.
                          My sympathies go out to anyone suffering the ravages of blight this year. Its soul destroying.

And when your back stops aching,
                          And your hands begin to harden.
                          You will find yourself a partner,
                          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• After a morning of cleaning my carpets and my Ma's with a hired cleaner I am now using the garden for its best purpose - I'm relaxing outside with my laptop, sniffing up the scent of me sweet peas and watching the dinner grow! Bliss!
                            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

• OH and Iona on holiday so spent the morning driving round Ross-shire delivering the magazine she produces. Got to my field at mid-day, another wabbit despatched from the snare at the tunnel door . Freed last of brassicas from the weed camouflage (was PSB's turn today)
                              Started advertising box scheme in local village shops and picked up an order to supply the village shop in Portmahomack !!
                              Customer came in just as I was leaving looking for courgettes. Told him to come and have a look as they weren't far away from being ready. We managed to find three of edible size (all with flowers attached) and he left delighted, after placing an order for a weekly veg box too.
                              Going for supper to my farmer landlords tonight - maybe he's after his next 6 months rent !!
                              Rat

British by birth
                              Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                              http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Finished the pergola on the terrace, attached a couple of trellises and trained the vine (vitis brandt) up it.

Planted out a dozen borlotti bean seedlings in the lottie. This should have taken minutes, but the consequence of neighbour's kids digging up tatties is that the ground is not left weed-free or devoid of spuds!

Dug up one plant's worth of blighted desirees. They look fine at the moment, a good crop of well-sized spuds. No giants though!
                                You are a child of the universe,
                                no less than the trees and the stars;
                                you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X