This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finally got my greenhouse.

Be waiting since xmas for my greenhouse from my friends house and got it today and put it up this afternoon. It's a 6' by 6' polycarb.
    Attached Files
    ---) CARL (----
    ILFRACOMBE
    NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

• Was at the allotment before 9.00am this morning. Sunny and warm so worked all morning shirtless!
      Managed to get my Desiree maincrops planted and weeded and dug a bed for my Majestic and got those planted as well!
      My Disiree's are in three rows and the centre row is comprised of huge seed tatties I kept from last year to see if my theory of big seed tatty = big crop works? We shall see!
      Managed to scrounge some timber that will do perfectly for the arbour I intend building!
      Done loads of weeding and mucking as well as building raised beds (of a fashion!)
      Decided against building a summerhouse now as I am running short of space, even with two allotments!
      Ditched the last of my red russian kale and donated a few plants to a couple of chook people.
      Next job I suppose, is to dig the hole for my bath/pond to go into. I hope to use the topsoil to mix with sand and compost to make my own version of John Innes compost to grow my tomatoes in. It's too expensive to use pure compost for the amount I need so I have to economise!
      Tomatoes are romping away and should really be potted up into there final pots soon, but at the mo I aint got time to do it!
      I still have PFA and a PFA X Desiree cross(Anya?) to plant and loads of Gladioli which may have to go in the same bed, or not?

Came home with a wee bit of sunburn on the shoulders but a hot shower, interupted by my German Shepherd pup trying to get in on the act, soon put paid to that!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• I promised my OH that I wouldn't disappear down the lottie yesterday but since he fell asleep on a sunlounger...

Potted up last year's cuttings of cistus purpurea. Six have rooted nicely and they are now 2 to a 5" pot. Took some euonymus cuttings for no particular reason.

This meant the cuttings planter was empty - cleaned it out and refilled with fresh compost. Sowed a mixture of carrot (touchon) and salad onion (ramrod). Covered it because it looked like a deep cat litter tray.

Weeded the squash beds - must remember not to put tattie peelings in the compost bins this year!

Planted out a climbing petunia.
        You are a child of the universe,
        no less than the trees and the stars;
        you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

• strimmer/bushcutter

Hello everyone,
          Can anyone reccommend a strimmer that they have used and proves to be effective and reliable.
          thanks.......

Comment

• Originally posted by nibor View Post
            Hello everyone,
            Can anyone reccommend a strimmer that they have used and proves to be effective and reliable.
            thanks.......
            Couldnt do much worse then a KBL23A Kawasaki iv had mine for years and still starts within 2 to 3 tugs takes metal disc cutter as well as the heavy duty cord . still It can get cloged when vines rap around it . Only problem i find with it its abit destructive on a fine lawns :F but for the weeds and bush its great .
            Blog

Hythe kent allotments

Comment

• Yesterday - potted on more tomatoes, potted on 4 butternut squashes, pricked out some aquilegia seedlings - home saved from the black and white William Guinness I bought last year. Went to Ma's and earthed up their spuds. Came home via lottie and did a bit of weeding/chatting.
              Gloriously sunny evening of birdwatching with the local Natural History society. Cracking day - I could take a few more like that!
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

• Just come home from lottie..very hot! Planted out rest of dwarf french beans, sowed some more alderman peas, artichokes for next year! Weeded and decided best to go back tonight when it is cooler.
                Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

• I have been at the lottie all morning and what a beautiful day very hot.
                  Planted my runnerbean plants had to add a few seeds to the end of the row as not quite enough, also planted some more spinach, lettuce marigolds, and poached egg ( all seeds ),
                  Picked some spinach, raddishes, lettuce and rhubarb this is my first year so well pleased with myself.
                  Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                  and ends with backache

Comment

• At the weekend, I planted out my Carruthers Purple Podded & Gladstone peas, and took a risk and planted out 4 Borlotti, 6 Delinel & 6 Brightstone bean plants. Needed the root-trainers!!
                    Today I have repotted 20 tomato plants. Only about another dozen to do now

Comment

• Riskily put out the rest of my Nicotiana Fragrant Cloud plants, did some weeding in the flower border. watered my tomato plants, thought about putting out the Tumbling Toms, but decided against it! Another lovely day!
                      "A cat sees no good reason why it should obey another animal, even if it does stand on two legs."

Comment

• Nipped to the GC this morning for more pea netting and canes, then down to the plot! Spent all day down there until about 10 mins ago, in shorts and tshirt, now lovely glowing feeling!

We managed to dig over another 2 beds (removing another 40 leeks from one of the beds, 10 of which were for eating, 5 of which had started to go to seed, so they've been replanted for seeds, and the others were clamped at the edge of one of the pumpkin / squash beds) on plot 2 and then risked planting out 20 sweetcorn and 10 Mars Pumpkins in 1 and 15 assorted pumpkins and squashes in the other larger bed! Watered everything, then planted out 120 onions frm seed into a bed on plot 1 that Mr D had prepared yesterday! Didnt manage to get as much done as we'd have liked, but Mr D is off tomorrow, so hopefully he will get the rest of the onions from seed planted, along with the last bed on plot 2 dug over and the 10 Jack-be-Little pumpkins planted up in it!

Unfortunately I've got my stocktake next week, so I've not got a day off for 9 days now, so little chance of me getting to the plot for a week or so, poo!
                        Blessings
                        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                        Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                        Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                        On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

• At the weekend I earthed up my spuds in bags. Re did the vaseline and salt round 95% of my beds and tried flour/bicarb aroung the other. Planted some salad leaves, turnips, carrots and beetroot. Built some staging for Greenhouse No2.

Today I sold 7 tomato plants at £1 each, two bags of spinach at £1 each, so next years garden fund has started.

Gave everything a good water tonight. Killed a couple of slugs, chased my cat Molly off my cabbage plants in the greenhouse (she seems to think the tray they are in is a nice warm bed for her).

Comment

• Just keeping on top of the weeding!
                            You are a child of the universe,
                            no less than the trees and the stars;
                            you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

• watered the plants in my `spaceship/tardis' (see post in Undercover Operations about a Growmate if interested) - did a bit more weeding! watered strawbs and plants in pots etc.
                              "A cat sees no good reason why it should obey another animal, even if it does stand on two legs."

Comment

• watered raised beds and all veg in garden.planted tomatoes in hanging baskets,planted out 20 purple queen dwarf french bean.
                                joanne geldard

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X