Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had a digging session to clear old beds, and Himself made a wire base for the compost dalek that's been re-sited to prevent local rodents taking up residence. Removed the old strawberry plants (they must be 5 years old - well past pensioning off!) and tittivated the bed. Planted Stuttgarter Giant onion sets in modules to prevent the birds ripping them out and scattering them. Himself weeded around his wildlife pond and sorted the gravel around it. Loads of things seed into there and he's left the violets and cowslips in. Should be a picture in a few months time.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

• Well today's a waning moon in an earth sign - good for planting root veg so I planted 2 rows of carrots (Heracles) under a fleece cloche. I tried lunar gardening last year alongside traditional methods & had good results so am repeating this year.

Comment

• OH is at the Cup Final, so I could slip off to the new allotment to start some digging - did about 8' x 5'. Also tied the four pallets together for a compost bin (am I the only person in the world who can't work out how to do those plastic ties? I always get them wrong way round and they don't 'fix' )
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• Did the rounds of the cheapy shops today, Wilco's,Netto's and Aldi. Didn't bother with Lidl cos I was there last week!

At Wilco's I purchased a max/min thermometer for £4.99,(Bargain I thought!) three tomatoe pots for £2 and some Anya seed potatoes for a quid!

Netto's had nothing new gardening related but at Aldi I bought four apple trees for £3.99 each.
          The varieties are, Cox's Orange Pippin,Granny Smith,Bramley Seedling and Elstar. According to the info on the packs the recently bought apples will pollinate each other.
          I already have a Sunset apple which fruited last year so should now have a good mix of eaters,cookers and desert apples!
          I will be planting them all down a sunny boundary of my allotment and keeping them no more than 5 foot high!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Hi

Well after my horid shift last night finaly rose from my bed @ 2pm quick cuppa and straight off to the lottie........i love this place sown some parsnip (white gem) leeks...had a quick tidy up in the shed......Then this (The pic) my strawberry bed as posted in general chitchat looks a mess & dead so i've posted a thread in general see if someone can help me i want to prick all the plants out and replant them in nice neat rows ???

lee
            Last edited by bwfc07; 07-03-2008, 11:35 PM.

Comment

• yesterday:
              went aldi, woolworths and garden centre - picked up red onions, cranberry and raspberry from woolies, propagators etc from aldi - nothing from garden centre as daughter tired after getting back from ski trip to USA
              couple of hours reading up about various plants and starting a sowing and planting plan

today:
              planted cranberry in large tub (chalky soil here so better in a tub) - planted more garlic in a long tub - more tidying up in greenhouse to make room for more seed trays etc and sorting of larger pots - more stuff put in dalek - then major housework day
              http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

• On the plots this morning and dropped off some pricked out brassicas into the greenhouse. I finally got to fit the labels to my newly planted cordon fruit trees which will save on confusion later, planted a row of Joan J raspers on the new half plot, lifted some leeks and escaped the weather which started to grow dark and chilly.

Comment

• Well, #i must have spent hours potting on my peppers from the propagator, they are getting their 2nd leaves hoping to get a good producer to enter the chillman challenge. Then back and forth to the greenhouse pottering around planting some late bulbs and jsut enjoying being out and not having to battle with the windy conditions of late.

Comment

• My exploits on my Blog if ne 1 interested

Comment

• Sowed my tomatoes (5 types) in my Aldi window propagator - Moneymaker, Gartenperle, Tumbling Tom (yellow), Roma and Sub Artic. Also sowed Leeks.

Sowed flowers as well Marigold 2 types, Busy Lizzies and Sunflowers 3 types including one called Italian White can't wait to see how this one turns out.

Was going to plant out shallots and onions but the rains came. Ah well do them next week with my rocket potatoes although reading a post elsewhere on the site I am going to be disappointed with these????

NN
                      If there is no football and gardening in heaven - I'm not going.

Comment

• Today, so far, I got up at 5am to help my 13 year-old son with his new paper-round. I really hope he gets his confidence with it soon, I am not an early morning person!!

Comment

• Got down to the plot for about 11am this morning, it was blustery and cold, but thankfully the promised rain held off! We dug over 2 beds (15' by 5') on plot2 between the 2 of us (boy can I feel my back complaining now tho, the chill wind seems to have gotten to it, methinks a hot bath might well be in order!) and then planted out another 400 onion sets, about 200 red (Red Baron) and 200 whites (Snowball) to join the other 120 sets we've had overwintering on plot 1 (Stutgarter), which along with the 2 types of overwintering garlic look to be doing ok (not as far on as they were this time last year, but last autumn was a lot warmer than this one has been, so only to be expected!)

The first 10 bored beans we planted out last week have come on really well, we've another 10 ready to go in, and will be planting another 10 in pots ready for successional planting over the next few weeks!

Harvested another 10 leeks, still plenty more to come too!

Mr D is going to try and get the 2 beds (4 varities, 60 tubers, going into 2 beds of 15' by 5') for the First Early Spuds dug over tomorrow (weather permitting) so we can get them in on Wednesday, but if its too wet, then he's going to do some more sowing in the greenhouse!

Thankfully the beds on both the plots havent become too weed infested through the wet season (last year's alleged summer) and the winter, so sorting them out ready for planting isnt going to take anywhere near as long as last year! Roll on a bumper growing season this year!
                          Blessings
                          Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                          Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                          Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                          On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

• What a day

Evening all
                            Well what a day...my greenhouse on the Lottie has about 8 panes of its windows smashed due to some young fools i was told b4 i took over the Lottie.. so ive been looking for some purspex to replace them 4 weeks i attempted to fix them with some strong glue and tape even bought a piece the other day for £15 to replace the really bad 1.....but today why i was sat in the van at work having a quick brew a van pulls up 3 men get out and start replacing the shatter proof carbonpoly purspex (thats what they told me it was) On the train station shelter so i asked could i have the old stuff they was more than happy to let me have it at no expense absolutely Delighted so all broken/damaged windows will be replaced weekend.........then i called in B&Q ended up buying some thyme and rhubarb happy days

Some pics here too

Lee...............Hey i'am a seeding
                            Last edited by bwfc07; 07-03-2008, 11:35 PM.

Comment

• I went to B&Q today too and bought a walk in plastic greenhouse for £29.99 in the sale, also potatoes, asparagus, shallots, garlic, runner bean seeds, and some bags of recycled tyre pieces. just been to lottie and put them into a pathway that i prepared yesterday - looking forward to seeing it tomorrow morning in daylight

Comment

• On Friday, I bought my second earlies spuds (Anya) and set them out for chitting on Saturday (north facing unheated bedroom with lots of light). The first earlies (Shrpe's express, 2.5kg, and 10 tubers of Charlotte) are all starting to look better too - the whiteness is leaving the shoots and they look like they'll be nice for planting in a couple of weeks.

Friday also saw purchases of 4 rhubarb tubers, a pack of jerusalem artichoke tubers, red onion (red baron) sets, 3 packs of Aldi fruit bushes (each holding 1 Ben something blackcurrant, a named gooseberry and a named raspberry) and some more pea and beetroot seeds (note to self - check seed box before anymore purchases as 3 packs of beetroot bolthardy is more than enough for 1 experiment, especially when the first pack was a freebie!).

On saturday, I sowed some yellow tumbling tom tomatoes, beetroot, 2 types of mixed lettuce and some resowings of brocolli and courgette. The gardener's delight and moneymaker toms are looking good - first true leaves showing, and the same for the 1 each of brocolli and green courgette that germinated (hence the resowings).

Next weekend is a digging weekend, and planting the rhubarb, JA's and fruit.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X