Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I shifted more turf from the front grass path to the back compost bin. I also potted on my Hungarian Hot Wax and Big Jim chillies - thanks Alice. Sowed a few Black Krim and Kraci's grandad toms - thanks Phreddy! Potted up the last of the germinated Rose de Roscoff onion seeds and sowed some more - thanks Piglet - and sowed Swiss Chard from Hawthorns - Ta. I have bought seeds of my own, honest - but they mostly seem to be tender stuff - beans and squashes etc, so not sowing yet.
    Topped up my second spud to come through - in greenhouse and with bubblewrap surrounding it. Noticed that Lupin Blue Bonnet is the first of my hardy annuals to come through. Cut flowers in prospect!
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

• Originally posted by Flummery
      .....and Kraci's grandad toms - thanks Phreddy!
      Oh stuff like that is interesting, let us know what they are like Flum.
      To see a world in a grain of sand
      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

• They are apparently fleshy but not very seedy and have been saved since this person's grandad grew them. Phreddy can tell you more I'm sure. I hope to keep them going here!

PS - DID I TELL YOU I GOT A HALF PLOT TODAY YIPPEEE!!!!
        Last edited by Flummery; 04-03-2008, 04:33 PM. Reason: to add PS
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

• What i did today

The boy is back! enjoyed reading everybody,s letters, so thought I would join in, sowed 4 varieties of toms. peer gynt brussells, autumn giant leeks, all in the propagator in the spare bedroom, got bored booked holiday .Roll on summer.

Comment

• Went out for the day for a lovely long walk round Goit Stock Falls in bingley a beautiful place, it was a nice sunny day with little over cast and very cold.

Smile and the world smiles with you

Comment

• Yesterday I packaged up and sent on a load of seeds to another newbie veg grower (a MagicMum rather than a Grape) who wants to grow lots of different things. (I'm getting spring onions and lettuce in return - yay!! cos I want lots of both this year).

Watered my seedlings last night (tomatoes - gardener's delight and moneymaker both about 2" tall and a couple of tumbling tom just pushing through, a courgette, lots of mixed lettuce, beetroot bolthardy and some brocolli) and realised I will have to pot on the GD and MM toms and the courgette at the weekend, lettuces next weekend I think. Could see tiny sprouts on the mangetout and beans in the loo roll holders too!!

Started shredding newspapers for bringing to the plot at the weekend to make a bean trench (for borlotti and french beans) and courgette holes. Now that I have a wheelbarrow to bring lots of stuff in from the car!!

Comment

• today I joined GYO
                All Recipes.com | Chocolate Gifts

Comment

• made a mini trough for leaf lettuce. sown 6 tumbling tom red into heated propagator. sown some chantenany red cored 2 carrots into sieved raised bed and covers with cloche.
                  my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

• Today I bought a coldframe, Some pots for my peppers and some grow bags for my salads.

Comment

• today went to see starwiz, bought practically all of lidl, and spent some more at starwiz's local garden centre.
                      grand day!
                      Yo an' Bob
                      Walk lightly on the earth
                      take only what you need
                      give all you can
                      and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

• Sowed more seeds today, 8 Kohl Rabi (Blusta), 8 Radish (China Rose) 4 Brussels Sprouts (Peer Gynt F1). Also sowed 4 Cabbage Surprise F1 and 6 Cauliflower AYR for the 2nd time as the first sowing failed miserably with almost non-existent germination on the window sill - lesson learnt. However the window sill sowing didn't affect the Broccoli (Autumn Spear) at all . Trial sowing 4 each of Parsnips (White Gem), Parsnip (True & Tender), Leeks Musselburgh and Leeks Blue Solaise just to test how long they'll take to germinate in the heated propagator before the final/maincrop sowing in late March. White Gem seeds was bought last year while the Musselburgh was a car boot sale seed packet with Jul 2007 expiry date.

Most of last batch of sowing (spinach, chard, beetroot, turnip, peppers, watercress, chinese cabbage, broccoli Wok Broc, herbs of sweet basil, coriander, chinese celery and parsley) just over a week ago have germinated, repotted and hardened off in greenhouse. Beetroot cluster seeds are at most only producing one seedling per cluster, more so pronounced with Goldana than Boltardy. Spinach is more prolific from cluster seeds though. Chinese cabbage seedlings are best HP candidate as they're in no hurry to shoot up with legginess. As expected, Parsley is taking the longest to germinate, only one seedling pulled out so far. Of all the peppers, Marconi was the slowest germinator.

Friday today, last Wed transferred the overwintered lettuce (Winter Density) from the raised bed to the herb wheel area where apparently the other lettuce are thriving (possibly benefitting from shading from bay tree). Even then could have done better with their petty size with some winter protection/cover so for next year's early lettuce harvest, will raise them tightly packed in window boxes and leave them in the unheated greenhouse.

Mangetout is thriving & healthy (loving the chill) despite premature sowing over a month ago but may be too settled now in the mushroom box where they were sown, 23 of them. May leave them to trail from the box but next year will only sow around 8-10 in a deeper container as final growing pot for sticking in pea sticks.

Last Monday emergency sowing of 2 more Artichoke seeds after only 1 out of 3 vernalised seeds germinated. Did not chill the seeds this time, only 24hrs soaking.
                        Food for Free

Comment

• Yesterday, in went the hative de niort shallots that have been in pots for a month, in went sturon and red baron onion sets, in went module sown beetroot, spring onion, spinach and chard.

lots of goodies were bagged from Lidl including tent greenhouses for the raised beds, slug pubs and lots of bulbs.

Comment

• Sowed broad bean The Sutton and Aguadulce. Sowed Jalapeno Tam, Jalapeno Ole, chilli Anaheim (thanks Momol) pointy peppers (thanks you-know-who), aubergines (thanks SBP). Put the germinated cabbages and cauliflowers into the greenhouse.

Also sowed some Subarctic Plenty and Shirley tomatoes and some stripey ones - too many tomato plants this year methinks.

Potted on some geranium plugs for mother in law and now trying to decide what flower seed to sow in the plug plant 'greenhouse' thingy
                            Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 08-03-2008, 04:02 PM.
                            Happy Gardening,
                            Shirley

Comment

• I spent a miserable half hour digging the new plot - top-growth is dead, but tough old nettle roots underneath. Wind, WIND!! and cold.
                              came home, found more (MORE!) onion sets in fridge, so put them in cell trays to start off. Sowed half a dozen summer cabbage in cells too (Greyhound). Talked to the spuds chitting on the windowsill.
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• Today, in between horrible heavy showers, I forked in some soil improver ( my own compost is not coming to much), planted out my mange tout seeds, and sowed a small patch of carrot, bunching onions, beetroot and turnip (milan) - probably all a bit early but only did a small section of the raised bed. Fingers crossed!! Inside, I planted some runner beans.
                                "A cat sees no good reason why it should obey another animal, even if it does stand on two legs."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X