Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sowed some more chillis, this time they were out of the 'Mystery Chilli' saved seeds envelope (could be Cherry Bomb, could be some weird hybrid!), also some bedding dahlias, nasturtiums & sunflowers, some lettuce in modules (varios types), my first lot of peas - Waverex to grow in buckets in the greenhouse, ans some more tomatoes - Sungold, Salt Spring Sunrise (HSL), Broad Ripple Yellow Currant (HSL) & Sub Arctic Plenty. Had to drag myself away before I started sowing some dwarf French Beans - although they could live in the greenhouse, it's still too early really....

Comment

• Sowed lollo rossa; and lettuce mixed leaf, and spinach.

Planted out broad beans, and some peas into courtyard; and random sowed peas and french beans, with some old tomato seeds in the rest of that one bad.

Potted on loads of pomodoro italian toms and a couple of cream sorbet toms

Comment

• I mostly cowered indoors out of the rain.

But did tidy the plot a bit and also made myself a raised bed kit from old upvc slats and some timber from the shed - ready to put together when it isn't raining!

Desperate to plant some stuff!
        Excuse me, could we have an eel? You've got eels down your leg.

Comment

• today I had a driving lesson, took my daughter swimming, did the food shop, fell asleep on sofa reading grow your own, now i feel really guilty for not going to allotment ! It was raining, enough said.

Comment

• Didn't rain here till 6.00 p.m. Consequently, went bird watching early on, called a GC to pick up bark for path and some canes and thick grade poly netting for peas, sowed some pre-soaked peas (markana) sorted and cleared the coldframe and moved the sprouted broadies and the onion seedlings in there. Carried on with bark path in the front garden. High winds caused much hilarity (and bad language!)
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

• The forecast was wet 'n' wild here too (although it stayed dry till dark, in actuality) so went to the Hill earlyish and planted out two rows of 3" high peas which have been growing in pots in the mini greenhouse at home.

Partner-in-grime Jane and daughter arrived and we did a good job of marking out the rows of potatoes - such that we don't make last years mistake and end up with a big field of spuds with no discernable start or finish...

We then planted out 12 tubers of Orla and Lady Cristl first earlies.

We retired to the nice bistro at the local craft centre for soup and crusty bread. Mmmmm.
              Last edited by Hazel at the Hill; 08-03-2008, 08:07 PM. Reason: so it makes sense!

Comment

• I've planted potatoes today too Hazel never grown them before as new to having a lottie, also sown five trays of seeds, tomato, broccoli, sprout etc in the plastic greenhouse at home. started to extend the path down the middle of the lottie and cleaned the chooks out so good day

Comment

• Spent most of the day for the first time on my new lottie.

Suddenly realised how much work there is to do! Very lucy though my lottie has a lovely view over open countryside so whilst digging and clearing all the buried plastic and the huge brambles smiled to myself that I couldn't have spent a better day!

Wind was high, but luckily I have some lovely trees on the edge as a windbreak and managed to keep going.

No rain here, fingers crossed for a few more hours tomorrow and another row of digging.

Comment

• Glad you had a nice day Clare. Like me I have a new lottie and I was the same on the first day, hard work digging, but when you stop for a breather and look around at what youve got it makes it all worth while. The other thing is although you want to do everything at once, you have plenty of time ahead of you.

Little and often as they say

Comment

• Just had a great morning on the allotment, got another stretch dug-over, got both red and white onion sets in to the ground, 'liberated' some rhubarb crowns from someone thats given-up and for them in to a prepared bed which was well manured (they split in to six individual crowns - so a right result), then planted some cut-and-come-again lettuce under cloches.

Then the best part was that we found that a pack of blackberry, raspberry and gooseberry with one plant of each actually split in to 5 individual raspberry canes - so got those in to the soft-fruit bed which we've been preparing - back to Aldi for those now!

We've found that as we've had a run of four dry weekends we're really motoring now, I don't get home until after 7.00 in the week so I am a weekend lottie - the weather is being kind to me.

This afternoon I'm going to start sowing some seed and tend to the ones that are sprouting nicely.
                      'People don't learn and grow from doing everything right the first time... we only grow by making mistakes and learning from them. It's those who don't acknowledge their mistakes who are bound to repeat them and do no learn and grow. None of us are done making mistakes or overflowing with righteous wisdom. Humility is the key.'
                      - Thomas Howard

Comment

• Continued with work on the bark path in the front garden. Today was much less windy - in fact a lovely hot and sunny day - so the job went much more smoothly. Yesterday there was a distinct possibility that either me or the landscape fabric would end up in the pond! Before and afters attached.

I also had a mega seed sowing session with hardy annuals for cutting and some lollo rosso lettuce and a lot of pre-soaked The Sutton broadies. I potted on my Japaleno peppers too. Finally I put out the Stoke lettuces I got as my freebie joining pack from HSL (and which had been growing slowly all winter in the geenhouse) into the garden, under a cloche. Ah, Spring!
                        Attached Files
                        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

• Limed the beds
                          dug over and added compost to some beds.
                          sowed herb, beetroot and salad beds in the courtyard.

bought a couple of strawbs and planted those out by the canal

late evening sowing of romanesco and calabrese

put the parsnip seeds in the freezer - just hope I remember where I put them in a week or so.
                          Last edited by zazen999; 09-03-2008, 06:33 PM.

Comment

• For once my plans for the weekend worked out! It was forecast wind and rain for yesterday and a bit better today. Yesterday I stayed in and took the opportunity to list a few bits and pieces on eBay as it is a free listing weekend.

The weather men got it right and today I progressed with fox proofing my chook run. I now have all sides and the top of the run covered with strong mesh so hopefully this will keep foxy at bay. I now have hammer rash and cuts and tears all over my hands as I keep hitting the wrong nail all the time! My hands have just recovered from being attacked off a young puppy who is now thankfully growing out of it!

The old back told me it was time to go home but I managed to drag a table into the run which I hope to use as a cover to keep the food dry. I also raked and levelled the inside with the intention of sowing a bit of rye grass seed which I have lying around.

Next job is to clean out the hut and make a few nest boxes.............but I'll do that another day! Hope to be getting half a dozen Rhode Island Reds before long!

I'm now off to list a few more items on eBay and take advantage of the free listing weekend!
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Toady I have sown my tomatoes.

I sowed 2 seeds in each 2" pot of Bloody Butcher, Nyagous Black and Paul Robeson (thank you sbp); Broad Ripple Yellow Currant (lucky dip from HSL); along with Ildi, Alicante, Harbinger and Supersteak.

Comment

• Today.. finished the patio i started 2 months ago, built and filled a new raised bed next to it.
                                All slabs & wood edging was free.
                                Watered a few bits around garden in pots.
                                Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X