Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sown some nantes 2 carrots into guttering in the greenhouse. noticed that my opera french dwarf beans have just germinated on windowsill. french marigold have come up aswell. 2 courgette seeds have come up in the heated propagator
    my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

• I planted out 100 poached egg plants (limnanthes) as ground cover/green manure. In a hailstorm. It wasn't pleasant.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• Pricked out some Brussel sprouts and cabbage into trays. Sowed Tagetes in a tray to go in the propagator. Sowed some Epicure broad beans that I found lying in a tub. Listened to the match on the radio in the greenhouse, Keegans first win on his second coming! Found out why my 1000Ltr tank isn't filling as quick as anticipated as when it rained and snowed the gutter was leaking from a joint and the feed pipe to the tank wasn't seated right! Made a temporary repair and will investigate further once the weather warms up.
        Even with my little parrafin heater under the tomato seedling it has been getting down to 36 Deg F..........hope they survive..........likewise with my chitting potatoes as I forgot to replace the fleece over them when I left the allotment!
        Bitter cold today, snow and rain, had to really work on the woodburner to get the temp in the greenhouse to a comfortable level.
        Last edited by Snadger; 22-03-2008, 05:05 PM.
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• I pricked out the celariac plants from the heated propagator in the greenhouse, and made sure they were covered over so they don't get too cold tonight. Also sowed some more lettuce, I've got 2 sets coming on already in the greenhouse, but it looks like the slugs are beginning to wake up, saw some slime trails today.Tomatoes, peppers and chillies stayed in today. Wind, rain, sleet then snow, with bright sun in between. I didn't get anything done in the actual garden, the soil is far too wet and I was too cold!
          I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
          Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

• I'm a bit of a late starter this year, so cleaned the greenhouse rinsed pots and propagators. Planted out small rows (1M) peas and broad beans which were about 2" plants. Tonight I am planning my crop placement for the year and tomorrow I start to plant the seed.

I do love gardeneing even in the horrid weather, it makes me smile.
            Thanks Kathyrn

Comment

• Went to the Hill with horizontal snow flurries today with partner-in-grime Jane and we made bloody quick work of
              • planting out 24 parsnips in loo rolls
              • sowing a row of radish
              • digging up the pack choi which is bolting - had it like purple sprouting for tea tonight - rather nice (especially in the absence of purple sprouting!)
              • digging a few parsnip each

came back home to sow the Robinson Peas and Pilot Peas both from HSL in loo rolls

Comment

• Picked up some free manure from someone on my local freecycle group to put in my composter to hopefully help speed things up a little. In return I left 10 empty compost bags for her. Popped two bags of the manure into the compost bin and turned it over with a fork. Checked my garlic and I now have 19 sprouting!!! Got two shallots coming through as well, but still no sign of anything else. 4 days ago I put some chilli and pepper seeds in pots on the windowsill and then a day later I did some on kitchen roll and put them on the windowsill too and when I checked today, the chillis I sowed on the kitchen roll have started to sprout - yaaaaay. I've now put some purple sprouting broccoli and some carrots on kitchen roll as well as some basil in an old Ferrairo Roccha (sp?) box with a lid. We had a light frost last night and for the first time in a week, I forgot to cover up my beds. Hope i've not spoilt things for myself. Am collecting a big roll of bubble wrap tomorrow so I think I'll try that to protect against a frost as its a bit easier to roll up and store than the fleece I'd been using

Comment

• Lit the stove, with difficulty (wood was wet!) and carried on with re jigging my greenhouse. Took out an old 3 tier cheepo plastic rickety greenhouse frame which I was using for staging and replaced it with a 3 tier display shelf from a shop or greengrocers that one of my allotment friends was chucking oot!
                  Done a bit more paint stripping off the greenhouse windows with Nitromors type stuff. Sowed some sunflower seeds and moved stuff that needed more light closer to the glass!
                  Took my Cape gooseberry out of one of my other greenhouses and pruned it hard and brought it in for a bit of heat so that it would throw up some cuttings. The other large cape gooseberry, if you'll pardon the expression, will be goosed as the whole end of the greenhouse blew out and they aren't frost hardy! Never mind, hopefully I'll get a few cuttings off tuther.
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Took photos of the snow - never get much here and was unreasonably excited about it. Pricked out first sowing of tomatoes and chillis,sowed some black salsify, second batch of toms and parsnips on to kitchen towel. Inspected leeks, broccoli, cauli and sprouts again - still no sign

Signed up to GYO on prescription, er, I mean subscription. I've been waiting for an offer I fancy and they lured me in with goji berry plants

Comment

• planted my pentland javelin 1st earlies into trug. sowed a mix of salad onions into a container. found what i think were carrot seed and sowed them into a deep pot.
                      my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

• It was a lovely sunny day here, but very very windy! pinned down my four long cloches AGAIN! Hopefully they'll stay put this time! Potted on some Nicotiana Fragrant Cloud seedlings and some Parsley Lisette into bigger pots. Tidied my spare room and moved all seedlings from living room and bedroom to this new haven! Downstairs not looking like a scene from Day of the Triffids now!
                        "A cat sees no good reason why it should obey another animal, even if it does stand on two legs."

Comment

• Yesterday:

Cleared ground ready for raised bed #3, built raised bed #3, filled raised bed #3 and nourished raised bed #3. Sowed some spinach, more sunflowers, few chilli and some chives. Soaked some fresia seeds.

Today:

Weeded around beds, planted Jerusalem artichokes (thanks pukka.tukka), tidied up the sage and took some bits off to root in a pot. Repotted the bay tree (as the frost resistant pot wasn't frost resistant ). Weeded the strawberry planter. Sowed thems fresias.
                          Excuse me, could we have an eel? You've got eels down your leg.

Comment

• Carried on digging potato ground, full of convulvas,sowed carrots chantenay in half 45gal drums in polytunnel,planted 6 little gem lettuce plants in poly/t,noticed potato leaves poking through in the large pots in poly/t,[foremost] moved some onion sets so i could plant more shallots that someone very kindly gave me

Comment

• Mrdinkle , neath is that near aber if memory serves me right. Lovely!!
                              "I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde."
                              Dolly Parton.

Comment

• Took out some garlic and leeks from OH's borders [in for the winter on bed-loan], and move to the onion bed until ready.

Harvested PSB and some leeks for tonight's dinner.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X