Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please do forgive me. Today, and Trousers DOES say quite often that I need to 'get out more' (!), but I did make another intended FlowerPotPerson (affectionately known to those of us who, like me and the very brilliant Flummery, are FLOBALOBS: Bill and Ben, The FlowerPot Men).

WHO actually said that grown-ups can't have a larf?
    Daft....
    X

Comment

• Yesterday evening, I sowed 5 coffee cups of peas (greensage) - 4 to a (venti sized) cup. I also sowed 10 purple sprouting brocolli redhard, 10 savoy cabbage osmoy and 10 little gem lettuces - in a module tray. While in the final bedding plant container (old one from GC), I sowed 3 large modules of cornflowers, 3 of Apple Blossom and 4 of corn salad.

Did some more watering, and harvested todays lunch (salad leaves, mangetout, peas and a carrot thinning from garden, with 2 carrots, 5 baby plum tomatoes and 8 olives from the shops).

Comment

• Yesterday planted out the butternuts, and all of the parsley and coriander. Still need to find space from the PSBs.....

In flowerbed planted out some more love lies bleeding, dahlias and gazanias. Weeded all the gravel and removed some of the nasturtiums, which have self-seeded everywhere. Found a penstemmon which has layered itself, so dug up and put in another part of the garden.

Watched a pair of green woodpeckers enjoying 'lunch' on the grass

Tested automatic watering system for tunnel - seems OK so I can go away for a few days without fretting too much
        Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

• Yesterday did some more pea fumbling and assaulted a few tomatoes - trying to do some amateur plant breeding! Harvested some more new spuds - still eating the ones from the tubs. Weeded - interminable isn't it? Noticed the Latvian heritage peas are now setting on the lottie - green, these (the others are purple) and they are drying peas - pea soup and mushy peas anyone? Today I lobbed a Flob in the direction of Wellie's blog - very funny as always!
          Last edited by Flummery; 18-06-2008, 09:02 AM. Reason: can't spel for toffee!
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

• Raining this morning so will be restricted to pottering in the greenhouse. Still the rain is most welcome as the lottie was getting a bit dry. Sorted all the seeds out the other day so I now know what I have, need to sow some salad leaves and some red lettuce.

Ian

Comment

• Yesterday I sowed Victorian climbing peas, beetroot and romanesco broccoli. And ate loads of strawberries.

Comment

• Originally posted by gojiberry View Post
                Raining this morning so will be restricted to pottering in the greenhouse. Still the rain is most welcome as the lottie was getting a bit dry. Sorted all the seeds out the other day so I now know what I have, need to sow some salad leaves and some red lettuce.

Ian

Been doing essential things around the house hoping it will ease off but it looks like it's set in. Hey ho...lots to do in greenhouse while listening to the sound of waterbutts filling...
                TGR

Comment

• weeded the beans, sweetcorn and martocks. Watered everything that I could though there isn't much water left in the butts. Looked at strawberries, think they will need netting or something to prevent mouths other than ours nibbling them.

oh and sowed some beetroot.
                  Last edited by Lavenderblue; 18-06-2008, 03:51 PM. Reason: forgot the beetroot.
                  We plant the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed - Neil, The Young Ones

http://countersthorpeallotment.blogspot.com/
                  Updated 21st July - please take a look

Comment

• Yesterday, I finally got around to potting up all the seeds I have sprouted on kitchen towel (since I've lost most of my plants to wind recently). Well, I only really managed half, but I potted up the following:

2x pumpkins (some German seeds I've got from the friend)
                    2x Parthenon courgettes
                    7x watermelons, red & yellow varieties
                    17x cucumbers Burpless Tasty Green F1 (what was I thinking?)
                    20x tomatoes, beefsteak & yellow pear
                    10x either broccoli "Crown & Sceptres" or brussel sprouts "Trafalgar" - forgot to label trays
                    70x leeks (it was a seed packet, which expired in August 07, all sprouted to my surprise)

Then I treated myself with some well deserved stir fried broccoli & chinese cabbage - yum!!! So, went to bed quite knackered, but happy. And today I will be potting up my sweetcorn (x15), two varieties of melons (about 30 altogether), bellpepper, cayenne pepper & some more brassicas!!!

Comment

• planted out 9 sweetcorn plants and staked my 2 courgette plants in the veg bed. Planted 2 cucumbers into large pots in the greenhouse & erected a net under the staging for them to climb along, put 2 tomatoes into their final growbag places with 2 of those pot things on top to give them a longer root run, also put some marigolds in with them and erected their strings to climb up. Watered everythign that needed it and had a general tidy up around the greenhouse. Also harvested my 1st strawberry of the year - was a bit sour!
                      Jane,
                      keen but (slightly less) clueless
                      http://janesvegpatch.blogspot.com

Comment

• Harvested today's lunch in the rain last night - so sat indoors for the rest of the evening knitting instead.

Comment

• Weeded more and discovered my cannellini beans and spuds have come up. Very exciting, after total spud failure last year. Not one came up.
                          The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it. -John Ruskin

http://wormsflowers.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Day off yesterday, but as it tipped it down all day we actually had a day off that we didnt spend on the plot!

Did all the monthly shop yesterday, then working today but Mr D has been on the plot today, and has fnished digging over the last 2 beds on our original plot ready for planting at the weekend, plus fed and watered in the greenhouses, hoed most of the beds and fingered the spring sown onion sets on the half plot that we're in the process of giving up! All we need to do now is plant up the last 2 beds, bark up the rest of the paths on our original plot (when some more chippings arrive), weed the strawberry bed and reconstruct the wooden wall between the manure pile and pond on our original plot and it'll all be looking good, just in time for the allotment competition in the first week of July!
                            Blessings
                            Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                            Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                            Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                            On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

• Cut a nice head of cabbage for supper. Pulled some rhubarb and cut up into chunks with a portion to each of two carrier bags..........one for the freezer and one for rhubarb crumble, Yum!
                              Watered all greenhouse stuff which was starting to wilt having not been to lottie for last two evenings.......shame on me!
                              Off work for a week now and just fixed up one of the kids's old bike which I intend taking to allotment tomorrow as a trial! Should be fun!
                              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• I dug over and prepared more space in my 'plot' and planted about 23 sweetcorn plants yesterday. I also had a look at my cabbages, and the tent I had constructed had completely collapsed, thankfully not damaging any of the plants!! I've given up building anything!!! Also, some of the cabbage root fly collars had flown about the plot in the wind, so I went on a cabbage collar hunt. Fun fun fun - I never found the last one. LOL.

Jennifer
                                Whilst typing the above reply, I was probably supposed to be doing homework. My excuse: I'm hooked!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X