Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over the weekend we dug-up the second-early potatoes, and had a good crop (I can't remember the variety), from half a row we got about 30lb, which is a vast improvement on the first earlies that yielded about 15lb in total.

Picked a decent amount of the peas, and then spent two afternoons removing them from their pods, blanching and freezing for winter, there was about 5lb's once the pods were taken away, so I guess it will be a while before we buy peas!

Also harvested were 2lb's of broad beans, 3lb's of mange tout and 6lb's of beetroot (we've had a particularly good year with beetroot, and taken about 10lb's - this equates to about a quarter of one row, and we have three rows we're going to be pickling in autumn).

Also had two red onions for lunches (really strong, they made my eyes water when I diced them!) and copious amounts of lettuce leaf again. We're now on the second sowing of lettuce and eat it every day (especially with the warm weather every day).

Also picked the first kohl rabi (never had that so am looking forward to it) and three courgettes and some radish.

Kept up with the weeding, I look to go every day this time of year and pick a bucket of weeds (that means we're keeping up with it), collected about 20 buckets this weekend and the plot is pretty clear, but i'll still go each evening after work and pick a bucket an evening (the smaller weeds mean its hard to get a bucket full, but if I can it means less work later).

Growing well are runners (nearly ready for the first crop), parsnips, salsify, brussels (our best ever attempt!), maincrop and salad potatoes, chard, spinach, carrots, broccoli and a crop of supersize onions (both red and white). Pumpkins are going well as are squash, the peas are drying-off and I'll dry whats left to provide seed for next year then remove and start planting winter crops.
    'People don't learn and grow from doing everything right the first time... we only grow by making mistakes and learning from them. It's those who don't acknowledge their mistakes who are bound to repeat them and do no learn and grow. None of us are done making mistakes or overflowing with righteous wisdom. Humility is the key.'
    - Thomas Howard

Comment

• Way too hot to do much yesterday but harvested a few french beans, 4 baby turnips & 2 courgettes. Mad a lovely tomato sauce for meatballs & managed to hide a whole grated courgette in it without OH realising (he doesn't like them!).

Did a spot if weeding & also planted my 10 "pixie" seed spuds in six of my 8 for 99p Morrison's bargain flower buckets & a couple of larger pots in the hope that i will have a good crop of spuds over winter. Not tried the variety before but they were the only variety available in small quantities for second crop spuds so though i'd give them a whirl!

Gave everything in the greenhouse a good water later on & noticed one of my "Hot Mexican" chillies is starting to turn red - hurrah. This morning my first tomato (Red Robin) is ripe too so halved that with OH & i must say - it was delicious rather proud of myself!
      Jane,
      keen but (slightly less) clueless
      http://janesvegpatch.blogspot.com

Comment

• I picked mangetout, some of which had gone a bit mad and so I shelled them - lovely sweet peas inside. I also harvested the first pod of my cross-breeding project - one drying seed inside! The others are still green and fresh so I'm leaving them on. After the first attempt I got a bit better at it so they have more seeds in the pod! Also picked crimson flowered beans. They are short pods with only 3 or 4 beans per pod but what a fabulous colour! They are a gorgeous jewel-like green.
        Weeded front garden. Still got all the back to do!
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

• I picked one cucumber (which was absolutely gorgeous), 2 tomatoes (again really lovely), sprig of parsley and 2 potatoes. I am so impressed with all this veg growing - I will certainly be growing again next year.

kwa50
          CraftChallenge.co.uk - Home

Comment

• I made homemade coleslaw, which I had for lunch. Little did I know that the cat had the same idea! Came back in the kitchen to see her munching away on it!
            Now she is apologisingby sitting on my lap and making it difficult to type!
            Tori

Comment

• Lifted 25kg Lady Christl, 25kg Red Duke of York, 50kg of Charlotte.
              Pulled 2.75kg of Climbing French Bean Blue Lake
              Harvested 37 cucumbers.
              Cut approximately 40kg courgettes.
              Cut 42 Sweetheart Cabbages
              Made delivery to local seafood / healthfood shop - 7 cukes, 5 x 100g bags Salad Rocket, 5 x 1kg bags of baby salad potatoes (Lady Christl) 6 Sweetheart Cabbages.
              Weeded my swedes (5 drills of 50m)
              Planted 100 lettuce (50 each of Amorina and Charita) in Tunnel.
              Cut another 40 strawberry runners.
              Watered tunnel !
              Came home - now off to deliver some Lady Christl to a friend who is making potato salalds to sell at Farmers Market on Saturday.
              Rat

British by birth
              Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
              http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by sewer rat View Post
                Lifted 25kg Lady Christl, 25kg Red Duke of York, 50kg of Charlotte.
                Pulled 2.75kg of Climbing French Bean Blue Lake
                Harvested 37 cucumbers.
                Cut approximately 40kg courgettes.
                Cut 42 Sweetheart Cabbages
                Made delivery to local seafood / healthfood shop - 7 cukes, 5 x 100g bags Salad Rocket, 5 x 1kg bags of baby salad potatoes (Lady Christl) 6 Sweetheart Cabbages.
                Weeded my swedes (5 drills of 50m)
                Planted 100 lettuce (50 each of Amorina and Charita) in Tunnel.
                Cut another 40 strawberry runners.
                Watered tunnel !
                Came home - now off to deliver some Lady Christl to a friend who is making potato salalds to sell at Farmers Market on Saturday.
                So what did you do AFTER breakfast then Rat?
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                  So what did you do AFTER breakfast then Rat?
                  LOL . Funny thing is that at the time, I feel as if I haven't got much done - probably cause there is so much to do and only one of me to do it.
                  Rat

British by birth
                  Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                  http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Not quite up to Sewer Rats harvest , I went to the allotment and picked:

3lb's runner beans
                    3lb's dwarf french beans
                    4lb's of peas
                    lettuce leaf
                    3 Kohl Rabi
                    rhubarb
                    3 globe artichokes
                    5 courgettes

Weeded three buckets worth and added to compost bins, noted that summer onion stems have fallen and will now wait for a good dry forecast and lift them and dry them.
                    'People don't learn and grow from doing everything right the first time... we only grow by making mistakes and learning from them. It's those who don't acknowledge their mistakes who are bound to repeat them and do no learn and grow. None of us are done making mistakes or overflowing with righteous wisdom. Humility is the key.'
                    - Thomas Howard

Comment

• picked handful of runner beans, 3 courgettes ( then 2 more in evening!), 850g arran pilot, mint , salad leaves and 5 huge strawberries, enough for a wee strawberry flan.

Did some weeding round raised beds.

Just been out this morning and cut a round courgette for stuffing. Weighed 2lb and was 18" in diameter(it was too early for metric thinking!!)

Comment

• picked my first Barlottis, loads of Purple Teepee (frenchies).
                        transplanted my de Carantaan leeks, and did lots of weeding. Again.
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• Cut the grass - unfortunately didn't have any weighing scales to weigh the clippings!! Would have been cheating as the grass was still wet from last nights rain but my McCulloch Lawnmower did the job without any clogging up!!

Comment

• Well sorry to say I've not done much at all.

Recovering after a local Beer Festival last night at the Unicorn in Newton Solney, Derbyshire.

I am probably going to clean the pond out later and clear an area of the garden ready for some chickens.
                            Chickens are my thing, oh and I am growing Rocket in this Potato Barrel.

Comment

• The dog and I had a walk to the paper shop and back (about 5 mile!) this morning followed by me getting the bike out and riding to the allotment (about 4 mile each way)

Fed and watered the chooks. Still no eggs.

Lifted the last of my Charlotte spuds and after manuring the area planted 2 rows of Musselburgh leeks!
                              A bit of weeding and general pottering about followed by watering indoor stuff and harvesting some red broadies+ Cucumber and it was time to cycle home with my backpack filled with swag.

Must admit, this cycling lark is getting a bit easier and more enjoyable now!
                              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Planted 4 Purple & 2 White Sprouting Broccoli plants and erected netting for them today, then harvested & ate 5 Red Robin Cherry toms! Not much done but had a great lazy weekend reading my new book!
                                Jane,
                                keen but (slightly less) clueless
                                http://janesvegpatch.blogspot.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X