Aphids on blackcurrant plants

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aphids on blackcurrant plants

This year, my blackcurrant bushes are suffering from aphids, leaves curled up and loads of grey aphids on the underside of the curled leaves.

How best to deal with this? Would rather not use chemical route if poss

Seems to be a lot around this year, I am using washing up liquid and water in a spray gun to some good effect.

Comment

Hose pipe and hose em off, if that's not possible as much mechanical removal as you can stand and water n washing up liquid after (not too concentrated), will likely require re doing and keeping ion top of.

Comment

Unless the infestation is so bad that it is stunting the growth of the new stems, I would advise just ignoring it. Mild to moderate infestations do no significant harm to the plant or the crop, and are just unsightly more than anything.

Comment

Thanks all! Will give the water a go.

Comment

Have a look around the garden, find some L/birds, give them a helping hand to find the Aphid party.
            Wait 3 weeks to a month, or sooner.
            Feed the soil, not the plants.
            (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
            Bob

Comment

iv'e been spraying soapy water on my black berry bushes to remove green fly that are being farmed by ants that seem to have their nest in the roots of the bushes , dowsing the roots with water seems to be helping move the ants on .atb Dal.

Comment

Ah, you need to get rid of the Ants.
                Feed the soil, not the plants.
                (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
                Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Jimny14 View Post
                  Hose pipe and hose em off,
                  Be careful that the pressure is not too strong. On mine the tips of old stems (with fruit) are very delicate, that doesn't matter on them BUT on the new shoots which will fruit next year you don't want to damge any growth or next years crop will suffer, a hand spray would be better.

Comment

I try to start early in the season and keep checking the black current bushes for aphids. If I see them I squeeze them with my fingers and thumb. Messy but it does help if there is only a few branches affected. It reduces the need for spraying.
                    Last edited by littlemoney; 26-05-2019, 06:16 PM.

Comment

With the aid of a pump action water pistol, I have dislodged a lot of the little devils.

May not be quite as efficient as a hose , but it was a lot more fun!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X