Peregrine peach tree

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peregrine peach tree

I have a peregrine peach tree which is plagued with leaf curl every year. I know that I can prevent this if I cover it from autumn to spring, but I really don’t want to do that. Every year, I’ve managed to control the problem by picking off every affected leaf, but I’ve had enough - it has to go.

My questions are - can I plant another fruit tree in the same place? Such as an apple or pear tree? And, if I carefully remove the tree, would anyone else like it? It has never fruited, probably because of the leaf curl, but I wondered if it might perform for someone else who was prepared to put the effort in.

I would be happy to give it to anyone who would like it (I’m in Surrey), otherwise it goes in the green bin).

Jools

try advertising it on Freegle perhaps ?

You can plant whatever you like n its place with no problems - of tree fruit I'd say apples and plums are easiest to get to crop in this country and some varieties are much easier than others.

If you want some specific recommendations just let us know .

Comment

Thanks, Nick. I already have 2 plum trees, so apple would be the best bet. I do have an apple tree that was bought as a cordon patio type. I’ve never pruned it, so it is now about 6ft or more and bushing out. It isn’t in a great position, so I could move that.
      Jools

Comment

Hi Jools - you're very welcome :-)

If you already have an apple which is in the wrong place, then yes moving that seems like the most sensible choice. Although you can move trees at any time of year obviously it is much easier to move them without killing the plant in the winter. So unless there is some urgency, I'd suggest waiting until October/November for moving your apple tree.

Comment

Specific replant disease might be an issue. Adequate article in Wikipedia about it. Essentially, you would be safer putting an apple or pear in than another stone fruit - which seems to be your plan anyway.

Comment

Hi Nick - yes, i’ll Leave it until autumn.

Thank you Devon.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X