Strawberry plants

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawberry plants

I've been growing strawberries for two years and they have been great. However this year there are a few with red leaves. Is this a sign of fungus/ infection or death? I intended to lift the plants at the end of the harvest to re-plant them in another plot. Thank you for any adivse

I doubt the red leaves have much significance, except to indicate the age of the plants - mostly growers propagate new plants from runners every 3 years or so and throw the old ones away.

Comment

I only keep my plants three years. The first year I cut off all the runners, second year I root the runners to replace the three year old plants after fruiting. Hope this makes sense.
      Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Red leaves could be a deficiency,try feeding them tomato feed or seaweed with potassium in it,good for flowers & fruit.

Comment

What part of the UK do you harken from Pauline? Mine have red leaves as well but I think its because they are dying from hypothermia waiting for the flaming weather to warm up! They need sun to photosynthesize new leaves.
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X