Apple tree - how deep?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple tree - how deep?

Putting an apple tree in - the question is how deep?

The same depth as it was before. If it has been grafted make sure that the graft is above soil level.

Comment

The root flare should be visible at the soil line, if the trunk is buried then roots can girdle it, also bark isn't very good at protecting against soil borne bacteria.

Comment

I normally just plant at the level it was at before and of course make sure the graft union is well above ground.

I am wondering though, would it be possible(if the rootstock was fairly large) to plant a section of that underground in the hope it sends out roots or would that only encourage the rootstock to rot?

thank you

Comment

Originally posted by finglas View Post
          I normally just plant at the level it was at before and of course make sure the graft union is well above ground.

I am wondering though, would it be possible(if the rootstock was fairly large) to plant a section of that underground in the hope it sends out roots or would that only encourage the rootstock to rot?

thank you
          If you a want to get the rootstock to send up a sucker or two so that you can later use them as separate stocks for new trees then there's no harm in bending up a root so that it has a kink in it at or above the soil surface, provided of course the tree has plenty of spare root capacity on the first place.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X