Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flowers on new blackcurrant cuttings!!??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flowers on new blackcurrant cuttings!!??

I took rather a lot of blackcurrant cuttings back in January. Thet were just stuck in the ground and left to get on with it, apart from some recent waterings. All have taken and are leafing up, which is pleasing.

Having noticed that my mature blackcurrants are in blossom, I looked closer at my cuttings and found that several of those are also putting out blossom. Is that normal for new cuttings to do this? Are they likely to set fruit? Should I let them set fruit?

Flower buds are created the previous year, so if there were flower buds on the stem you cut for the cutting, the new cutting will flower.
    The flowers should be removed, so as not to tax the new plant. Indeed, blackcurrant cuttings should really be cut down to 2-3 buds from ground level as soon as they star growing, as this encourages more growth from the bottom and a nice balanced, bushy plant, which is what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
      Flower buds are created the previous year, so if there were flower buds on the stem you cut for the cutting, the new cutting will flower.
      The flowers should be removed, so as not to tax the new plant. Indeed, blackcurrant cuttings should really be cut down to 2-3 buds from ground level as soon as they star growing, as this encourages more growth from the bottom and a nice balanced, bushy plant, which is what you want.
      That makes sense to me.

Leaves have started opening on the cuttings. Would this be a good time to cut them down, or have i left it a bit late?

Comment

It should be fine to do it now. Ideally, you'd do it in March, but it's still early enough that they'll grow back from it fine.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
          It should be fine to do it now. Ideally, you'd do it in March, but it's still early enough that they'll grow back from it fine.
          Right, that's a job to do between the showers in the next few days.

Thank you for the advice Ameno.

Being of a curious nature, and because I've got loads of them, I think I'll leave a couple of them with the most blossom on to see what happens. the rest will be pruned down for better, bushier plants.

Comment

They will most likely root so easily that the fruit will set.
            I just cut some log shoots of last years wood and stuck them in the ground in there intended final positions and they all took. At least one has some flowers but I let it get on with settling in.
            Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

I'd take off the flowers as mentioned above but also have never had any problems getting blackcurrants to root. I generally take off flowers first year, after that they're fine.
              I generally give away my blackcurrant cuttings now as I have plenty.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X