Pear tree (harvest green)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pear tree (harvest green)

Hi all, I'm new to this & also a new member. We bought a Pear tree by the name of harvest green over a week ago .
    It is currently sat in its own plant pot as bought.
    Can this tree grow in its own plant pot or do we have to dig a hole into the ground and grow it.
    Also will this tree be self pollinating or do we have to buy another tree for pollination.
    Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Its more difficult and needs a lot of work to grow any fruit tree in a pot. If you have space in your garden I'd advise you to plant it out there instead. All fruit need a lot of good open light and also space where the air can pass round them freely. Pears in particular are often grown against a wall in the UK, because the extra bit of warmth makes ripening the fruit a better bet if we get a cold weather.

Comment

Pear tree (harvest green)

Hello, appreciate your as advice.
      I don't have a solid wall. It's going to be next to a wooden shed or a wooden fence in the back garden.
      Or if I dig in the front of the house then it would be next to a half brick wall & half wooden fence.
      What about pollination, is it ok by itself?

Comment

This old thread mentions harvest green being a patio tree,it can go in a large container. If a neighbour has a pear tree it can help pollinate it or find a pollination partner of a different variety that flowers at the same time,some pear tree varieties can become really tall.
        https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...t-trees-2.html

Comment

Yes the label that came with the tree does mention patio.
          There are a couple of pear trees but they are probably a 2 minutes walk from where we live, not in the neighborhood though.
          Same with us we also bought it from Morrisons.
          It states it can grow up to 2metre high which isn't too bad.

Comment

Bees travel literally miles so you may be OK.

By the way I think it is possible your tree may be a Harvest Queen misnamed by whoever sold it to you. The internet hasn't really heard of harvest green pears, and it would be an odd name.

Comment

Ok thats hopefully a reassuring reply, could be misnamed & might get lucky with the bees travelling etc. So any suggestions on where to plant, as I mentioned in my earlier message that its either going to possibly live next to a wooden shed + wooden fence in the back garden which is north facing or against a half brick half wood wall in the front of the garden south facing.

Comment

I'd say go for the south facing site. I wrote a guide to planting trees and bushes on this site a while ago which you might find useful. For the first summer you may need to water the tree a couple of times a week if we get a hot dry spell, after that it should be able to look after itself - that's one big plus for planting in the ground. If you are living in an urban or semi-urban site then pollination should not be a problem, as bees will fly up to 3 miles to collect nectar and pollen.

Comment

Ok many thanks, at least we have some confidence in giving this a go now.

Comment

You're very welcome - trees and plants in general want to grow, so really if you provide a little help then they normally do OK.

BTW waiting for a tree to start fruiting requires a fair amount of patience, so if you would also like to grow something which will fruit in just a year or two you might want to buy a loganberry or tayberry - quite often places like Morrisons sell these in a pot for £3 or so.

Happy gardening :-)

Comment

Ok, appreciate your extra tips.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X