Blueberry troubles

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blueberry troubles

Last year i purchased a small blueberry bush, over winter it has lost its leaves but also turned a yellowy colour...im unsure what to do to help it and was wondering if anybody had experience with blueberry bushes?
    tips would be great! thanks
    Get going..Get gardening!

Blueberries are deciduous, so will lose their leaves in Winter. They do like an acid soil, so your plant would appreciate being fed with an ericaceous fertiliser.

valmarg

Comment

The yellow leaves could be lime-induced chlorosis, which as valmarg says is a symptom of an insufficiently acid soil. If that's all a bit too technical, just repot it into ericaceous compost!! Good luck.
      Resistance is fertile

Comment

Been looking into getting a couple of blueberry bushes recently and according to my research they can be deciduous or evergreen but yours could well be the former. Any idea what variety you have? One thing worth noting is that they will fruit a lot better if you have a pair of plants as it improves the pollination rates. Good luck with bringing it round.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I have two blueberry bushes, I can't recall the names but will try and look them out.

Anyway - one is about to flower I think but the other is just a big bare twig

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
            One thing worth noting is that they will fruit a lot better if you have a pair of plants as it improves the pollination rates.
            Not just a pair of plants, I believe they have to be at least two different variety too but it does not matter what season fruiting they are though. You could go for one early fruiting variety and one as mid or late fruiting or whatever combination suit you best. I myself now have 2 unnamed variety (from Wilko and Woolies) and third one is an expensive named variety from online so here's hoping I'm alright for the meantime.
            Food for Free

Comment

When you say a yellowy colour are you meaning the leaves went yellow? In which case it's a sign that the plant needs an acid soil as blueberry leaves tend to turn a lovely fiery red in Autumn. If you mean the stems then there is a variety (Berkeley) which has pale yellow-green stems as opposed to the more normal brownish-red and which is supposed to be like this. Does your bush have buds? If so, then it is probably OK, re-pot it in ericaceous compost and if your water supply is hard (you get limescale) then it will be alkaline so try to save some rain water for it.
              Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

I too believe the yellowing is due to not enough acid.
                I know that my couple of plants need some attention as they have been in the same pots for 3 or 4 years now with pretty much no attention.
                However, have just placed an order with J Parkers for 5 blueberry plants (5 different varieties to provide fruit from July to September) for £20. I've now decided to convert a raised border in the garden to an acid bed for these and a few 'flowery' shrubs.

Comment

I had a couple of Blueberries go yellow and then die through overwatering. It wasn't intentional, but the pots I used had a polythene liner and I don't think it allowed good enough drainage. I know Blueberries don't like to dry out, but they don't like sodden roots either, so make sure the drainage in your pots is ok.
                  All at once I hear your voice
                  And time just slips away
                  Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Originally posted by Waffler View Post
                    I know that my couple of plants need some attention as they have been in the same pots for 3 or 4 years now with pretty much no attention.
                    However, have just placed an order with J Parkers for 5 blueberry plants (5 different varieties to provide fruit from July to September) for £20.
                    Couldn't you try to revive your existing blueberry plants with a bit of TLC coz it may be quite a while before you get harvest from the 5 fruit bushes from J Parkers. I say this because I've already got one from them, a Patriot variety and they're sadly on the small side similar to the cheap bush you get from Wilko and Woolies, could be long time waiting .
                    Last edited by veg4681; 18-02-2008, 10:46 PM.
                    Food for Free

Comment

I had the same problem with one plant: akk are mulched in winter with leaf mould and in spring get an ericaceous feed. After 2 years , the remaining 5 set fruit..
                      Mine are planted in garden with lots of compost (we have heavy soil), and well drained but damp soil - mind you everything with us is always damp except in severe drought.

Comment

herbert

I'm pretty sure that my blueberry bush is a 'Herbert,' i got it from a gardeners world magazine offer in september. Thanks for all your advice, i will try putting into the correct soil and also will get another variety to help pollination.
                        thanks
                        Get going..Get gardening!

Comment

Originally posted by bluemoon View Post
                          When you say a yellowy colour are you meaning the leaves went yellow? In which case it's a sign that the plant needs an acid soil as blueberry leaves tend to turn a lovely fiery red in Autumn. If you mean the stems then there is a variety (Berkeley) which has pale yellow-green stems as opposed to the more normal brownish-red and which is supposed to be like this. Does your bush have buds? If so, then it is probably OK, re-pot it in ericaceous compost and if your water supply is hard (you get limescale) then it will be alkaline so try to save some rain water for it.
                          You are very right, the Barkley has light yellowy-green stems, I got 1 bush of it .
                          During autumn, the leaves turn stunning red, very attractive.

I would like to correct my post, the blueberry with light green stems I grow is actually Goldtroube 71. Just went outside and notice it .
                          Last edited by momol; 21-02-2008, 10:37 AM.
                          I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Originally posted by veg4681 View Post
                            Couldn't you try to revive your existing blueberry plants with a bit of TLC coz it may be quite a while before you get harvest from the 5 fruit bushes from J Parkers. I say this because I've already got one from them, a Patriot variety and they're sadly on the small side similar to the cheap bush you get from Wilko and Woolies, could be long time waiting .
                            Hmmm... I had a feeling that might be the case: a bit disappointing, but prepared for.
                            Yes, I shall defo attempt a revival on the exisitng blueberries, and will plant them in my border with lots of ericaceous; hopefully we'll get 1 or 2 punnets worth this year.

The J Parkers thing is a bit annoying really, as they don't seem to give details of what sort of plants you will receive (at least I couldn't see anything.)

Comment

Originally posted by Waffler View Post
                              The J Parkers thing is a bit annoying really, as they don't seem to give details of what sort of plants you will receive (at least I couldn't see anything.)
                              For the pathetic size they sell, I wouldn't bother with them ever again. You're still better off getting the cheapie bushes from cheapie stores esp. now that we're getting reports of these stores naming their variety...well except for blueberries . You can't win with blueberries. My Tayberry from them are just as bad and I paid around £5 and I challenge them that they won't fruit this year either.
                              Last edited by veg4681; 19-02-2008, 10:06 AM.
                              Food for Free

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X