Fruit bush height

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fruit bush height

I have accumulated quite a lot of fruit bushes, and wanted to know how big red/black currants grow aswell as gooseberry and goji berry, i have blueberry and cranberry too but will keep them in pots, raspberry and blackberry already sited.
    I need to know where to put them and what sort of harvest i would get if i kept them manageable, 4/5 feet is ok, and can i plant them all in the same bed, and what to do to prepare? I am a bit lost with fruit so any help greatfully received.

Originally posted by hypnophil View Post
    I have accumulated quite a lot of fruit bushes, and wanted to know how big red/black currants grow as well as gooseberry and gojiberry, i have blueberry and cranberry too but will keep them in pots, raspberry and blackberry already sited.

I need to know where to put them and what sort of harvest i would get if i kept them manageable, 4/5 feet is ok, and can i plant them all in the same bed, and what to do to prepare? I am a bit lost with fruit so any help greatfully received.
    Currants, blueberry and cranberry can all be grown in pots but check their variety as the final height can vary greatly.

I'm not sure if gooseberry can be grown in pots but they can spread out a bit although nowhere as tall as raspberry or blackberry or tayberry. Don't know about the height of raspberry and blackberry but easily over 5' 5". There should be detailed reference in the sites.
    Food for Free

Comment

I did a bit of research on gooseberries last year with regard to growing in pots and it seems quite ok. I wanted to plant in pots at first so I could move them around a bit in order to find a sheltered spot. They are looking healthy still, but I am considering planting them in the ground as they got a bit prickly to move around!
      ~
      Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
      ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

When I had my gooseberry in a pot I found I didn't get much fruit on it so I moved it in to a permanent space and planted in the ground. It is much healthier now.

I guess with most things different varieties may cope better in pots than others.

Comment

Gooseberies, redcurrants and (I think?) redcurrants can all be grown as standards!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I think i will keep them in pots for now until i find where i definately want them to go rather than putting them in and regretting it later.
            I suppose the crop would be less in pots, but i should have them planted out within a couple of months.
            thanks again

Comment

I've had a standard gooseberry in a pot for a couple of years and it's doing fine, although I suspect it would be doing finer if it was in the ground!

Watering it is a pain too in summer, but on the plus side it looks fantastic and does help in my cunning plan to cover the patio with fruit and veg instead of flowers...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X