Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Razzers up a wigwam

Can it be done?
    I have some rasps to plant out, and being short of cash would like to make their supports out of things I already have knocking about.

I have plenty of 8' canes and was thinking about constructing a wigwam, with wire going round it at intervals and using that as support for them.
    Could it work, has anyone done anything similar?

Ta
    Kirsty
    Kirsty b xx

Are your rasps autumn or summer fruiting - makes a difference as for autumn ones you don't need a permanent support as you chop them all down each year. Summer ones are a bit more work as you need to suppport last year's canes for this years fruit whilst also doing something with this years growth. For autumn ones I used to simply put a few canes in the ground and wrap string around to keep the canes bascially tidy, don't think your wigwam will work as they're canes, not climbers and you don't want to be encouraging them to go together at the top.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Cheers,
      back to the drawing board.

I think they are summer fruiters, Glen Cova
      Kirsty b xx

Comment

I've managed this OK with my Octavia rasps (summer fruiters) - they've been on the wigwam for about 3 years now. There are 5 canes around each wigwam (I've got 2 wigwams).

As there aren't many canes, keeping on top of the new & old canes hasn't been a problem. It doesn't take up much space, which is good as these rasps are in my garden rather than on my lottie.
        http://inelegantgardener.blogspot.com

Comment

In that case, I'll have a go. I was thinking 4/5 cane structure with garden wire wrapped around at 8-10" height intervals to give me something to tie the canes into.

Cheers all
          Kirsty
          Kirsty b xx

Comment

any pictures of how you done this?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X