peachs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peachs

i have just bought a dwarf peach tree, and would like to know how best to grow and care for it any advice is greatfully received

If you look a page back then there is some discussion on peach trees. But I am sure that someone with experience of the dwarf varieties will be able to help. Welcome to the forum!

Comment

Hi Dicky,
      I have a Nectarine tree (variety unknown) about 20” high.
      I treat it very similar to my Lemon / Tangerines etc.
      Normal fertiliser in the winter & something high in nitrogen in the summer for the fruit.
      If you don't already know, a lot (if not all) peach/nectarines flower very very early in the year,,,,,, usually too early for the bees to pollinate them.
      Last year I used a bit of cotton wool to pollinate mine,,,,, but this year I was trying a tiny paint brush.
      I didn't seem to get as many flowers this year,,,, nor did they seem to last very long. Still, I tried my best & will have to see how it gets on.
      Good Luck
      try it once,,,,, you might like it !

Comment

I have a dwarf peach tree in a pot and it is currently flowering. I usually keep it in my unheated greenhouse over winter so that it avoids peach leaf curl and then put it outside as soon as the flowers begin to open. Don't usually polinate though and get a few peaches every year.

Tend to repot every few years and replace the top few inches of compost on an annual basis as well as giving it a good feed at this time of year to start it off.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

By the way, just as I was reading this I saw an old Geoff Hamilton programme where he says to grow peaches under the eves of your roof as a fan against the wall or to erect a shelter. The reason being that peach leaf curl is carried by rain on to the leaves.
          Last edited by SimonCole; 08-04-2008, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonCole View Post
            By the way, just as I was reading this I saw an old Geoff Hamilton programme where he says to grow peaches under the eves of your roof as a fan against the wall or to erect a shelter. The reason being that peach leaf curl is carried by rain on to the leaves.
            It is, that's why it's great when they're in a pot so you can put them somewhere under cover for the winter - in my case in the greenhouse.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Can I resurrect this post please and ask...
              I overwintered mine in the g/h, moved it out and fleeced it after all the snow and horrible weather abated.
              It was FULL of flowers for a few weeks so I hand polinated most days as much as I could and hoped there were a few insects about too.

Now it has weeny peaches on it (I assume that's what they are anyway), so what do I have to do now? Do I have to pull some off (like the June drop) or leave them? Feed them now they are forming fruits?

Thanks - didn't exect it to do anything as last year it didn't even flower.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X