Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pruning Newly Planted Fruit Trees?

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could give me a correct answer.

This Autumn / Spring I have planted about 20 fruit trees in a new largish garden - apple, pear, plum, cherry, apricot, peach, nectarine.

Have read several books about pruning which all state to cut back branches by either a third or half (depending which book you read). However, as the new trees have all different length primary branches, this would look rather odd with some smaller / larger than others !

What I want to know is approx how far in length from the main trunk should the primary branches be, as this would seem an easier method? Cannot seem to find this information anywhere. Does this differ with fruit tree type?

Thanks for your time...

I would not follow any such advice. The trees are young and under a lot of stress, you could let a lot of disease into the primary branches by cutting the now. I am certain that this is a very bad idea for peaches, plums and the like... they are very susceptible to canker at this time of year and you should only prune them when they are in leaf.

I would bung them in this year and keep them well watered, then consider pruning in the next. I can see some justification however, with pruning long or misplaced apple and pear branches to prevent wind damage and aid shape. But staking, mulching and watering regularly when it is dry are the main things that I would consider ensure good trees.
    Last edited by SimonCole; 14-04-2008, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
    Working...
    X