Rhubarb

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhubarb

Last year I planted a Rhubarb crown and didn't really do anything with it...

This year, its already started growing with a vengeance

Do I need to cover it over with something (a bucket?), or can I just let it grow by itself?

What does the covering over of it do?

Cheers

OWG

Covering it with a bucket forces it to grow longer, paler coloured stalks. If you want to enjoy your rhubarb year on year, it is better for the plant to be left to its own devices as it needs rest after 'forcing'. I give mine a good mulch of well rotted manure at the end of the autumn when it dies down and again in spring to give it a good feed. Looking forward to the first crops this year as they are now established plants.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

I have been eating my rhubarb since start of January! I dont force it.
      I think it must be a very early variety - it tastes lovely! ahhh spring!

Comment

Of the five crowns I planted toward the end of last year only two are showing - they're only a few inches tall. "Champagne Rhubarb" apparently, MIL bought them for me.

When did you plant yours OWG?
        A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

It was planted last year about May/June. We didn't take anything from it though.

Started growing again this year in mid-March (ish), and is now a goodly size, with about 5 stalks of between 8 and 10 inches long.... wonder if it's an early variety?

Comment

I never force rhubarb - I know some people like the milder flavour when it's forced but I like it a bit robust! I also never pacik after the beginning of August. There will still be loads of stems on but let them die back and feed the plant. My late Dad, a serious rhubarb lover, weakened and killed a couple of his plants till I told him that - he was picking stems till the frost! Much better to pick plenty early in the year and if you like, freeze some.
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X