Strange Strawberry leaves

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Strawberry leaves

My strawberry plants, maxims, are looking strange. They seem to be yellowing. See the attached image. They are from last year, in pots. Is there something I am supposed to be feeding.

Also I have some strawberries else where that have red rust spots on them, I would guess its fungus, but how to deal with that?

I anyone good at telling what breed of strawberry plants they would be if I attached a picture? As far as I tell there are two different types.

I've just spent the whole afternoon digging out the strawberries to replant after I have reconditioned the soil with some bags of processed cow poo I bought from the B&Q.
    Attached Files

Vemplan, welocme to the vine

One of mine has a rust leaf too. It seems to be the only leaf on the whole lot andit went like that ages ago. I wonder if it got sun or frost burnt as it's not spread on mine?
    Last edited by Shortie; 17-06-2006, 09:05 PM.
    Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Hello Vampalan, no expert here, but your strawberries look fine and healthy to me. Why don't you wait a few days and if you still think there is a problem repost another pic showing the problem. Hope all is well with them.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Hi vampalan, they look O.K. to me as well but if you think they are a lot yellower than normal it could be a slight iron or manganese deficiency. You could try scraping away a bit of the compost & replacing with fresh & maybe feeding with a sprinkle of epsom salts.
        Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

I'll give that a try next watering.

Also have a lot of little holes on some leaves, what does that mean? I've cut them away and dumped on compost heap now.

Comment

If the holes are very tiny Vampalan it could be something like flea beetles or capsid bugs which don't do an awful lot of harm but can weaken the plants & you can spray with something like Derris or an organic bug spray but if it's not too bad I wouldn't bother. If the holes are bigger than a couple of mm I would bet on either caterpillars or small slugs coming out at night for a nibble! You probably don't need to remove the leaves but if you want the plants to look neat it won't do any harm unless you remove too many.
            Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Hello Vampalan, check the underside of the leaves as you may have spider mite also red marks on leaves often indicate that they have mildew. Commercila growers would use a fungicide such as Systhane but not sure what is available retail. Spider mite can be controlled using biocontrol or a good spray with Fairy liquid.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X