Figs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Figs

Hi there, can anyone help? I have never grown figs before, but got a small plant last year for christmas. Over summer about 15 figs have grown, but they are still green although probably the correct size. Does anyone know if they are likey to ripen at this late stage? I have read that I should pull them all off and throw them away, giving the plant chance to fruit again for the next crop. But I have also read that I could ripen them if I moved it to the greenhouse, which I could easily do. But I dont want to stop the plant fruiting again if I leave them on. Also, could I take them off and let them ripen off the plant, like you can do with tomatoes for example? I would be grateful for any advice on this as I really would hate to waste the lovely figs that are on the plant if there is any chance of saving them.

Thanks Liz

Figs

Hi,
    If your greenhouse is warm its probably the best place for the fig. Brown Turkey is common fig in this country and I leave figs the size of peas on the plant over winter, as this is next years crop. Unfortunately, figs can be a hit and miss affair.

Andrewo
    Best wishes
    Andrewo
    Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Hi Andrewo

Thanks for the advice, i've removed the large figs and put the fig in my greenhouse to see how it goes, sorry for my delayed reply to you.

Liz

Comment

Let me know

Hi,
        Let me know how it goes, figs are so hard to grow in this country, the only place I have ever seen them done well is in Cambridge near a museum in a small courtyard.

Andrewo
        Best wishes
        Andrewo

Comment

I bought a fig tree this autunm and there are no baby figs on it at the moment. Does that mean that i wont have any yummy figs this summer? Catriona

Comment

The tiny embryo figs should be on the plant now and these need protection during the winter. Ideally cover the plant.
            [

Comment

Embryo

Figs are unusual, sometimes you can see the small figs, the size of a pea or they are actually waiting to burst forward from the small nodules of the branches.

Just remember to keep the roots constrained in a pot and to fan train the tree, it helps later on for ripening, harvest and even decoration.

Try and get it on a south facing wall or fence. Protect it in winter.

Andrewo
              Best wishes
              Andrewo

Comment

Thanks, it is in a pot and inside for winter as i have a roof garden and no greenhouse. Heres hoping they are just hiding and will be plentiful this summer.

Comment

I have a fig in a pot which every year puts forth a number of fruit which never ripen although I never protect it over the winter. I've lost track of how old it is - probably 5-6 years old but I've never pruned it. Do I need to? If so how far back do I cut it and when?
                  Bright Blessings
                  Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

I do hate to boast but, I have a Brown Turkey fig in a pot; it's about 6 years old and every year for the past 3 years has given me a feast of yummy figs. This tree seems to thrive on neglect. It lives in a very sheltered and sunny spot in East London and I am ashamed to say the poor thing receives no protection for the harsh winter months. However, come the spring it's all ready to burst into life and part of our yearly excitement is to count the number of figs produced by the tree; sad or what! 34 succulant yummies this year.

Comment

Ok hils so is it the variety I have got, not that I know what it is I was given it by my mother. Or am I doing something I shouldn't. It is in the middle of the herb garden so maybe I should move the pot so it is more "exposed"
                      Bright Blessings
                      Earthbabe

Comment

Brown Turkey are quite hardy and like hils I grow one very successfully in a pot that is kept outside and is fan trained against a wall. If you have any fruit bigger than a small pea remove them now as you havent a cat in hells chance of them ripening.

My tree is kept outside with no protection whatsoever (only young cuttings are overwintered in a cold frame). By all means cover it with some fleece but a greenhouse shouldnt be necessary and as an added problem you will get mould problems due to a lack of ventilation as well as massive temperature variations if you get a frost followed by sunshine, unless of course you are around to open the greenhouse or close it as needs be.

Comment

My mum lives in Dunfriesshire (SW Scotland) n she was telling me about a wild/escapie fig that grows close to her. She and her pals eat wild figs while out walking the dogs!!!!! :0
                          Last edited by Crazy Chickie; 09-11-2006, 09:07 PM.

Comment

I will persevere. There aren't usually many fruit larger than pea-size by this time of year. I usually check it over just in case. I'm just perplexed that little seems to ripen. The fruit gets so far and then just shrivels and falls off. The herb garden is raised about 4ft above the patio so it gets sun all year round.
                            Hmmm! Maybe if I move it (with Mr E's help) it may do better next year.
                            Bright Blessings
                            Earthbabe

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
                              My tree is kept outside with no protection whatsoever (only young cuttings are overwintered in a cold frame).
                              pw I walk past a fig growing along a wall that I would really love to take a cutting from, but being new to this gardening lark I'm not sure what I should do , any instructions would be really appreciated .

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X