Sea buckthorn

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea buckthorn

Always keen to grow something different I spotted that dobies are selling Sea buckthorn and I am curious. Anyone else got this growing? It does need a male and female, so could be a tricky number. Is it hardy and cope with the conditions that the North of the UK can dish out? Is a pot best or planted in the border? Any and all advice welcome.
    --
    http://gardenfan.blogspot.com

Hello Gardenfan, I don't grow seabuckthorn myself as I've no need of it. As I understand things, it is completely hardy - tough as old boots - and very resistant to wind and salt spray. It is what people in coastal areas grow to provide a shelter belt for more interesting plants. If you want to grow it no need for a pot. Plant it in your draughtiest corner to protect other plants.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Hi Alice,

Thanks for the advice, sounds like a real solider just what my wet/windy/cold (all year round) garden would welcome (after seeing it wipe out more than a few fruit bushes/tree's). I wonder if they taste ok, any one tried them as Jam?
      --
      http://gardenfan.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Gardenfan, I didn't know you could eat them, but they are diecious (dear knows how you spell that ) It means you need a male and female plant to get berries. And did you know they do great big thorns !

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Hi, sea buckthorn fruits are very tasty for jams, juices or for freezing. You will need male and female tree on your allotment. the roots grow just under the surface so it is difficult to grow something next to it.
          I was looking for male and female plants here but it looks like I will have to bring some from country of my origin russia, as nurseries do not supply them as fruit trees, therefore no female or male plants.

Comment

Is this the plant with the orangey-yellow berries that Ray Mears was eating in one of his programmes? Or is that something else?

Comment

They are frequently used as 'civic planting' here near the Humber - the berries are copious and yes, they are sweet and tasty.
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by basketcase View Post
                Is this the plant with the orangey-yellow berries that Ray Mears was eating in one of his programmes? Or is that something else?
                Yes, it's the same plant. You can get improved ones now though

Cool temperate Cool Temperate - Welcome
                and agroforestry Agroforestry research trust fruits nuts seeds plants publications
                have to wait until autumn though as they come bare rooted.

I've got one unsexed one, only got it a couple of months ago though so don't know how well it will do yet. Was too late putting my order in for some sexed ones so have to wait until at least next year to get some fruit

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X