new apple variety?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new apple variety?

hi folks it is my first time here. I have got smitten by fruit trees. I am trying to fill as much space as possible with trees. I go for minerettes from ken muir. Very pleased with them. My latest purchased to arrive in nov is a pear which is to be fan trained against a fence. I have a tiny garden which has raised beds (live in the south west). About four years ago I threw out an apple core. A golden delicious I think. It grew, I even chopped the sappling in half 'cause I wasn't interested and was just in pruning mode. It grew back and produced apples in about year 2 or 3. I've just count 30 apples on this tree. For the previous two years the apples have been in excess of about four inches so I don't think it is reverted to a crab apple variety. They were sweet last time. This time the fruit looks heathy, the tree is much heathier now I am bothering to look after it. So my question is do you think I have managed by an act of god to get a new variety. Will it revert shortly to a crab apple, and since I am in a tiny garden is it feasible to keep it in a bush shape. I think my best bet is to remove the small garden hedge which is adjacent to this and grow the apple into a hedge. It seems pretty tough considering I've tried to kill it at least once. Of course this happened after spending £60 or so on ken muir stuff. Ken muir didn't think that it was worth keeping, and shouldn't have fruited so quickly. Regards Zoe

Originally posted by u751904 View Post
    About four years ago I threw out an apple core. A golden delicious I think. It grew ...and produced apples in about year 2 or 3.
    A miracle! You've grown a mature Golden Delicious tree in 3 years? Can you post a photo?
    Apples grown from seed often don't germinate at all, and if it does, you normally have to wait 6+ to years for it to produce edible apples - the chance of it producing an edible apple is about 5%.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

If you do keep the tree,trying to keep it to a manageable size is going to be dificult as it is not grafted onto a rootstock and it's natural tendency will be to grow into a very large tree.
      The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

Comment

I have attached two photos, one which is of the tree / bush. The other of the fruit. As it self seeded it wasn't planned to live here. This is the third year that it has fruited. I've lived here six years in sept I think I 'planted' this about four/five years ago. The other photo is of the fruit. They were definately edible last year. They look more rosey this year which I am surprised at seem reder in colour. Don't know why.

I couldn't attach the files directly because of the size so follow this link please.

- Shared Private Photo Album - PhotoBox

- Shared Private Photo Album - PhotoBox

hopefully these links work

Zoe

Comment

sorry, links don't work. They are Private View only.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

It is n't an act of God, every apple grown from a pip is potentially a new variety, as its a cross between the tree it came from and what ever the bees bought along as pollen, there are tens of thousands of new varieties out there, witness the apple trees growing on roadside verges from the cores thrown from car windows. The thing is vitually all of them are a bit ordinary, the chance of getting the next Bramley or Braeburn is one in millions. But if its good and you like it great, But Golden delicious it ain't

Comment

No, it isn't Golden Delicious - but it could be delicious! To get a golden delicious you need to graft a slip of golden del onto a rootstock. These named varieties can only be reproduced by vegetative growth - grafting or cuttings. Each pip produces a new variety but as Mugsy says, many will be rubbish. But some will be good. They may not come up to commercial standards but then, if we were satisfied with commercial standards we wouldn't be growing our own. They might fruit over a long period - great for us but rubbish for a fruit farmer. They might not store well - we would want to pick them as they ripened and eat them fresh. I think there's a lot to be said for breeding your own varieties!
              As to size, it will not be dwarf because it's on its own roots and as it's a new variety no-one knows how big it will grow. I don't think it will revert to crab apple. Many seedlings come to little more than crab apple types but if you've got a good 'un it should stay good. Best of luck with it U751904. I hope it keeps fruiting for many a year.
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by u751904 View Post
                hi folks it is my first time here. I have got smitten by fruit trees. I am trying to fill as much space as possible with trees. I go for minerettes from ken muir. Very pleased with them. My latest purchased to arrive in nov is a pear which is to be fan trained against a fence. I have a tiny garden which has raised beds (live in the south west). About four years ago I threw out an apple core. A golden delicious I think. It grew, I even chopped the sappling in half 'cause I wasn't interested and was just in pruning mode. It grew back and produced apples in about year 2 or 3. I've just count 30 apples on this tree. For the previous two years the apples have been in excess of about four inches so I don't think it is reverted to a crab apple variety. They were sweet last time. This time the fruit looks heathy, the tree is much heathier now I am bothering to look after it. So my question is do you think I have managed by an act of god to get a new variety. Will it revert shortly to a crab apple, and since I am in a tiny garden is it feasible to keep it in a bush shape. I think my best bet is to remove the small garden hedge which is adjacent to this and grow the apple into a hedge. It seems pretty tough considering I've tried to kill it at least once. Of course this happened after spending £60 or so on ken muir stuff. Ken muir didn't think that it was worth keeping, and shouldn't have fruited so quickly. Regards Zoe
                It is a new variety, all seeds are new varieties most of which don't grow and most of the rest are horrible. How nice is it compared to other apples ? If it is really nice contact other nurseries if they are interested in propagating it.

Comment

posted photos this time

I've chaned the link so it is public so in theory you should be able to see my pictures

My First Album - Shared Photo Album - PhotoBox

hope this works. I'm pleased so far. I think that is the funny thing about gardening I have spent a fortune over the years because gardening my 'drug' of choice. my farther and I spent probably £50 or so each on clemetis the one year and all died - and the woolworth £3.99 ones did well.

Anyway fruit growing is a new thing for me. I do have a feeling that this will get too big for its home.

If I keep pruning it at the right time in theory I can hold it back to the size I need to be able to stil get through my back door? I presume I am right here. I hate killing things especially when they are serving me well so I want to keep hold of it now I have grown quite attached to this bush!

Zoe

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X